Atlas future?

STS-41B

Have an offer for Atlas... currently am regional captain.. would love the lifestyle for sure...
Everyone, at least on the other board.. warns against it.
Is there any chance a new pilot contract will come?
Is upgrade time going to come down?
Should I just stay at regional and hope for something better?

DE727UPS

I think Atlas will be around and eventually will get a contract. What's first year pay at Atlas compared to what you make now? Do you want to do international flying? (it's a lot different).

I think the kind of experience you get from working there would set you apart from the regional masses somewhat with the heavy time and international experience.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Love the job, can’t picture being happy doing anything else.

That said, the company is playing their game if chicken really well. We all figured that once it impacted the stock price/profit, they’d come to their senses. They haven’t.

Still the only ACMI that id consider...just...not now.

z987k

Have an offer for Atlas... currently am regional captain.. would love the lifestyle for sure...
Everyone, at least on the other board.. warns against it.
Is there any chance a new pilot contract will come?
Is upgrade time going to come down?
Should I just stay at regional and hope for something better?
Probably a few more years before a contract. There's still a few outstanding court cases, which will probably be followed by more soon. Once that's all finally figured out at the speed of the courts, we're either in section 6 or arbitration both of which will probably take a few years from there. 2024 maybe?
Upgrade time is going up. The 2yr6mo upgrades on the 76 are gone. There's a fairly large group of people hired between then and now. Depending on how many 76 captains with seat locks that are now up go 74, the 74 upgrade is going to be somewhere between 5 and 8 years... if you were hired 4 years ago. If you were hired today I would imagine it'd be more than 8. But that's all speculation based on current vacancy awards and the rate captains are leaving and retiring.

If you're into 17 days a month, 19-21 if you commute, less than 100k as an FO on a wide body, defacto unpaid training and no line guarantee(my personal gripes), come on over. The water is luke warm.
We have some good stuff. Vacation works very well. OT as a percentage of you hourly rate is better than most if you're into that. I like how the union has a policy of telling the company no rather than fly and grieve it.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Nothing personal. Just that there are more ACMI carriers that aren’t around anymore than ones who have survived a long time.

Not saying that Atlas is better than the others, just more diverse. But I still wouldn’t touch this place with a 40 foot pole until our future is a little more clear.

Stone Cold

Nothing personal. Just that there are more ACMI carriers that aren’t around anymore than ones who have survived a long time.

Not saying that Atlas is better than the others, just more diverse. But I still wouldn’t touch this place with a 40 foot pole until our future is a little more clear.
As long as MRDSCC lasts for another 12 years, 9 months and 3 days, I'll be a happy camper.

#Retiringat60isthegoal

thepotato232

Anyone looking at ACMI right now needs to understand they are on the tail end of a very large wave. I'm perfectly happy at K4, and am eagerly awaiting word on our next contract to see if I can justify being a lifer.

BUT

I was hired almost two years ago fresh off of a long expat hangover, and have a realistic chance for left seat pay on year 3. If I was a new joiner now, looking to make the jump from the left seat at an established regional, knowing the retirement math here versus at a legacy? Not sure I could make that work for me. I have friends at Atlas who are not feeling great about their spot in line, and it's a lot further up than where a new hire would be.

I'm not qualified to comment on Atlas's current woes, and I mean it from the heart when I wish the pilots all the best in their struggle against a management team that seems to view them as liabilities rather than assets. I just know that when I was a furloughee hustling on 36th St during the Lost Decade, a call from Giant would have been manna from heaven. Times change.

z987k

Earnings call tomorrow and the share price will be interesting.

Cal Goat

Prestige Worldwide™
Anyone looking at ACMI right now needs to understand they are on the tail end of a very large wave. I'm perfectly happy at K4, and am eagerly awaiting word on our next contract to see if I can justify being a lifer.

BUT

I was hired almost two years ago fresh off of a long expat hangover, and have a realistic chance for left seat pay on year 3. If I was a new joiner now, looking to make the jump from the left seat at an established regional, knowing the retirement math here versus at a legacy? Not sure I could make that work for me. I have friends at Atlas who are not feeling great about their spot in line, and it's a lot further up than where a new hire would be.

I'm not qualified to comment on Atlas's current woes, and I mean it from the heart when I wish the pilots all the best in their struggle against a management team that seems to view them as liabilities rather than assets. I just know that when I was a furloughee hustling on 36th St during the Lost Decade, a call from Giant would have been manna from heaven. Times change.
Well said. When I got on at K4 it was my second choice because Atlas never called me back after the phone interview. In 2 years, the script had flipped fairly significantly. Kalitta had gone from being the punchline to a place that respectable people were asking about applying to. It will be interesting to see where we cap off with fleet size and pilots next year.

I don’t think I want to retire here (or if I’d even be able to) but it’s an enjoyable time for now.

B767

Well said. When I got on at K4 it was my second choice because Atlas never called me back after the phone interview. In 2 years, the script had flipped fairly significantly. Kalitta had gone from being the punchline to a place that respectable people were asking about applying to. It will be interesting to see where we cap off with fleet size and pilots next year.

I don’t think I want to retire here (or if I’d even be able to) but it’s an enjoyable time for now.
Same same. I had my phone interview with ACP the same day as my atlas interview. Finished the atlas interview and went to the parking garage to do the phone interview. Passed both interviews and accepted K4 because they offered a class date before Atlas.

Cal Goat

Prestige Worldwide™
Same same. I had my phone interview with ACP the same day as my atlas interview. Finished the atlas interview and went to the parking garage to do the phone interview. Passed both interviews and accepted K4 because they offered a class date before Atlas.
You flying first half this month?

moxiepilot

STS - I think a lot depends on you and your goals. You will always find the complainers at companies and you'll also find the cheerleaders. There are a lot of really great people on the line and that helps make the day go by.

Personally I like long haul flights.

I don't like 1 landing a month because of all the training going on. It's difficult to stay proficient.

Could pay be better? Of course. Can you survive supporting a family on first year FO pay? Absolutely.

I spent my last 10 days in Aruba, not taking any vacation, because of my normal bid line. Some guys work the schedule to make it a month or longer using a few of their vacation days and stacking the schedule's X days together.

Some guys get 140+ hours plus by working the schedule and working a few days extra.

I've had a number of senior guys turn to me, the newish guy, and ask why I'm not jumping to Kalitta. These are the guys who never bother to ask me why I'm here in the first place. So all I mean to point out is you're going to get varied input.

I figure I have 5 years before I need to settle on a final destination for a 15 year career, which means 5 years experience and maybe some PIC time before jumping to United or Delta. But, if the contract is good that puts me midway on the totem pole, probably as a captain or check airman and that means good scratch and lines by then.

No one here has a crystal ball, but if you think it might suit you, there's nothing to hold you back from being happy.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
STS - I think a lot depends on you and your goals. You will always find the complainers at companies and you'll also find the cheerleaders. There are a lot of really great people on the line and that helps make the day go by.

Personally I like long haul flights.

I don't like 1 landing a month because of all the training going on. It's difficult to stay proficient.

Could pay be better? Of course. Can you survive supporting a family on first year FO pay? Absolutely.

I spent my last 10 days in Aruba, not taking any vacation, because of my normal bid line. Some guys work the schedule to make it a month or longer using a few of their vacation days and stacking the schedule's X days together.

Some guys get 140+ hours plus by working the schedule and working a few days extra.

I've had a number of senior guys turn to me, the newish guy, and ask why I'm not jumping to Kalitta. These are the guys who never bother to ask me why I'm here in the first place. So all I mean to point out is you're going to get varied input.

I figure I have 5 years before I need to settle on a final destination for a 15 year career, which means 5 years experience and maybe some PIC time before jumping to United or Delta. But, if the contract is good that puts me midway on the totem pole, probably as a captain or check airman and that means good scratch and lines by then.

No one here has a crystal ball, but if you think it might suit you, there's nothing to hold you back from being happy.
I absolutely love the job.

My hesitation is simply that it seems like management doesn’t really care about the long term viability of this place. Though I heard that earnings call was interesting today. It appears shareholders aren’t happy with “the process.”

Gonzo

I absolutely love the job.

My hesitation is simply that it seems like management doesn’t really care about the long term viability of this place. Though I heard that earnings call was interesting today. It appears shareholders aren’t happy with “the process.”
You should listen to it, I felt a little bad for Flynn and his boys, they were getting killed.