1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATC Internship Question

Discussion in 'Air Traffic Control' started by Danny555, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Danny555

Danny555 Well-Known Member

Hi, first post, new acount.

I am a 16 year old who is currently in 10th grade (High School). I live in Puerto Rico and my nearest major airport is Luiz Muñoz Marin International Airport, San Juan (SJU).

I have always been very interested and aspired to be an Air Traffic Controller. I already know in which University I will do my AT-CTI (4 year) although I am very aware that its not helpful (I have read ALOT online). I was wondering if I am able to join a Summer AT-CTI Internship program or the Volunteer Program in my local airport (SJU). I am an A student and currently study at a private full-english highschool.

I have read around here that some people have actually done the Internship at ATC while being in highschool, how does it work? This kind of information I can't find anywhere else so here I am :)

If its not possible, is there anything I can do from my early age to start gaining experience and knowledge for a future job as ATC?

If more information is needed for a better answer just let me know

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. smt6

smt6 Well-Known Member

Grab a mami and snuggle up while reading the .65. In all seriousness the CTI is a raw deal. I am one of only a couple guys at my facility with a bachelor's degree. It's good to have a backup plan if you don't get hired, but a CTI degree will not help you much on the street. See if you can get a summer job at the airport slinging bags or working for the FBO. My previous aviation experiences have helped me a lot more than my CTI degree. Sounds like you know what you want to do, but don't forget to enjoy being 16.

ATC RET 2003 likes this.
  3. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and major in something other than CTI or even aviation. Use that as a fall back should ATC not work out for some reason. CTI won't help you get hired or be a better controller and to be frank is pretty much a useless waste of money now.

4. smack300

smack300 Well-Known Member

I second what the other guys said. Get a job at the airport, line tech or whatever. Don't go to a university to get a CTI degree. If you want one that badly, go to a community college and get it there while getting a major in something else. It is much cheaper. No one knows if the FAA will go back to the CTI program, so I am not saying don't get it. Specially at 16, you have 14 more years you can get hired, a lot can change. Just saying, spend the money on a backup bachelor degree.

Source: CTI grad wishing I had a backup bachelor degree.