• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Assistant Dispatcher Hawaiian Airlines

BayouMLU

The last time they interviewed they flew to the mainland and conducted interviews. No test and no real tough quizzing of dispatch issues. They're really interested in what you know about living there and they are emphasizing the differences between living on the island vs the mainland.

IMO, finances are the smallest part of taking the job. Plenty of OT is available I have been told. There are worse places to live if you ask me, but go in eyes wide open and understand it's not just changing zip codes. You are adopting a whole new way of life.

FM-2 Fan

The last time they interviewed they flew to the mainland and conducted interviews. No test and no real tough quizzing of dispatch issues. They're really interested in what you know about living there and they are emphasizing the differences between living on the island vs the mainland.

IMO, finances are the smallest part of taking the job. Plenty of OT is available I have been told. There are worse places to live if you ask me, but go in eyes wide open and understand it's not just changing zip codes. You are adopting a whole new way of life.
As one who was stationed at Pearl, all I can say is AMEN! Unless you've been there, you have no idea how true this is.

DogwoodLynx

They'd probably be better off moving their OCC off the island,or opening a dispatch school on the island. The constant turnover has to be costly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonder if they could move to San Diego or something. Still expensive but not as expensive as Honolulu (as far as I can tell) and it’s stateside so more people would actually want to live there.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
According to my nephew (who is stationed there in the military) people either fall in love with island living, or just kind of enjoy it OK but look forward to their time there coming to an end. One of my mother's old friends has lived there since the early 1960's and still likes it. One factor to consider aside from the cost of living there, is that the public schools in general do not have a very good reputation, so many parents end up sending their kids to private school (more expense.) However if you like island life, going to the beach, and no cold winters, it could be fun, and of course you'd be able to get back to the mainland fairly often, working for an airline.

Rincoln

I interviewed there last year. They paid to fly me out and paid for my hotel. No written test. Just an interview and all the questions were regarding moving to HI nothing dispatch related. In my experience locals will get priority over non locals regardless of qualifications.

FM-2 Fan

I interviewed there last year. They paid to fly me out and paid for my hotel. No written test. Just an interview and all the questions were regarding moving to HI nothing dispatch related. In my experience locals will get priority over non locals regardless of qualifications.
That makes sense, given the logistics involved with moving out there.