Assistant Dispatcher Hawaiian Airlines

stunnershow

Not sure why everyone is fixated on heavy jet ETOPS experience unless it's just really you're thing. It certainly doesn't seem to make you any more attractive to a major than someone coming from a regional.
Are you joking...or ...trolling, I can't tell yet. But it's pretty funny, regardless. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pljenkins

Resident Knucklehead
Not sure why everyone is fixated on heavy jet ETOPS experience unless it's just really you're thing. It certainly doesn't seem to make you any more attractive to a major than someone coming from a regional.
Not for nothing, but if not for my ETOPS experience, I wouldn't likely be working here. Not saying it's the go/no-go key to getting a good mainline job, but it's not "nothing".

Not free of nuclear contaminated water they aren't!
Easy there, Alex Jones. Rumors of Hawaii glowing at night are greatly exaggerated. Is there a higher level of radiation in Hawaii after Fukoshima? Yup, but you'll get a FAR higher dose of radiation from the sun then you'll ever get from the water. In short, nothing to see here.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
Not for nothing, but if not for my ETOPS experience, I wouldn't likely be working here. Not saying it's the go/no-go key to getting a good mainline job, but it's not "nothing".

[/URL].
It is actually interesting that you mention that. Southwest does no ETOPS flying and very little operations if any under 10% or reduced international reserves and dispatching rules. Most of the Southwest operations are domestic fuel reserves and dispatching rules. As of now and subject to change of course, you wont likely ever get to use your knowledge and experience gained in ETOPS operations at Southwest. Even flag rules will be fairly limited with a 737NG/MAX fleet. Most of Southwest operations are similar to what regional airlines have with a lot of short to medium haul flying. You would think that regional experience would be more valued by Southwest than ETOPS given their network structure. Contrast that with a major airline with large ETOPS and flag operations where someone with that kind of experience would get a lot of opportunity to use the knowledge and experience they have with that kind of flying.

pljenkins

Resident Knucklehead
Indeed. In fact as of now all ops are Domestic rules. We don't do any Flag ops at present. When I was hired SWA was just picking up the ETOPS -800s and was spooling up Class II nav with talk of Hawaii. Trouble is you can't pack 175 people on an -800 and expect it to get back to the States, especially in the winter. Other technicalities, labor, and business decisions pretty much iced the Hawaii thing for the time being. I don't see WN doing blue water ops for a while yet, even with the MAX onboard. We did some quick and dirties on the MAX with what we have, and it's feasible from a planning standpoint, but again, other factors.

LX015

Easy there, Alex Jones. Rumors of Hawaii glowing at night are greatly exaggerated. Is there a higher level of radiation in Hawaii after Fukoshima? Yup, but you'll get a FAR higher dose of radiation from the sun then you'll ever get from the water. In short, nothing to see here.

He said Alex Jones! Ha! Hold your horses there Dr. Rumack, I never said anything about Hawaii glowing, I simply made a joke and mentioned that the leak hadn't been closed.