Aspen

Inverted25

For you guys who fly into Aspen. Do your SOP allow you to shoot the full approach down to the LOC mins or do they require you to see the airport by the FAF to continue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Finally going for the first time next month. I land at 1:45, think I’d have any problems making a 3:20 airline flight out?

IslandFlyer

You shouldn’t. The FBO is very close to the terminal.

The line guys do a good job of getting you parked and on your way quickly.

Crockrocket94

There is no guidance in our GOM regarding landing weather minimums. As long as it meets the wx mins of the required approach. Now in reality, most people know that if they don't see it by the FAF you're probably not gonna get in. So most people including myself just brief that if we don't see it by the FAF we will execute the published missed. Start the climb early, follow the path.

There is no guidance in our GOM regarding landing weather minimums. As long as it meets the wx mins of the required approach. Now in reality, most people know that if they don't see it by the FAF you're probably not gonna get in. So most people including myself just brief that if we don't see it by the FAF we will execute the published missed. Start the climb early, follow the path.
I'm not whatsoever advocating or endorsing using it, especially if you don't know the territory and the Wx systems well, but you'd be surprised how often that extra ~1600 ft can get you under and good. The default path is already 6.6° and the challenge is to get down as far out as possible. That will mean ~1700+ fpm which can be it's own kind of unsafe.

Reverbing @Oxman, my general rule at Aspen is to be not just ready, but fully landing configured before I start the initial approach descent. That way I can stay slow all the way down.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Finally going for the first time next month. I land at 1:45, think I’d have any problems making a 3:20 airline flight out?
Not if the winds are out of the north and you divert to Rifle. You really can’t ever count on actually landing at Aspen until the rubber is on the runway. Depending on your equipment and capability, any of these factors can eliminate ASE as a viable destination: low ceilings, tailwinds, runway contamination, traffic volume & holding. Once the first one diverts, everyone else will follow to RIL, EGE and GJT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Airline flight out??? Stay and ski/snowboard!!!
I’m actually taking a day out of family vacation to do the trip. So I’m in a hurry. Recently got to ski Vail finally, that was quite a box to check. I’ll get a crack at aspen eventually!