AS application question-employment history

To support our peak summer flying in 2019 and set us up with capacity to handle future anticipated cross-bidding between fleets as pilots on both aircraft exercise their seniority, we plan to issue a bid this week which will close prior to the ISL effective date, and will be effective May 1, 2019.

The bid will open 96 additional Boeing FO and 36 Captain positions, and 48 Airbus FOs and 16 Airbus Captain positions. We will be hiring a total of 144 new hire pilots and upgrading 52 Captains for this bid.

Hopefully this is good news for the guys here that want to work for AS.
Is that 144 for the year, or before summer 19?

Is that 144 for the year, or before summer 19?
This should be for Summer flying, so newhires for May 2019 online by then. They are saying bids in 2019 will be combined AS/VX so it also makes it sound like more newhires in 2019 after this bid. So from now until May should be 144, and then probably some more later. But like most airlines I don’t think there will be anything for the summer. This bid gets summer beefed up. Most likely more upgrade/hiring in the Fall 2019.

This is still better than the 70-110 number previously given for the whole yr 2019.

Currently have a class of 12 starting in December that was part of the last bid. Very busy hiring next three months approximately 150 pilots for the first part of 2019 which will also provide a small pool available for future bids. After December class the new hire plan for the first part of 2019 is: January 34, February 52, March 46, April 12. The 52 upgrades will be spread out over those 4 months.

Currently have a class of 12 starting in December that was part of the last bid. Very busy hiring next three months approximately 150 pilots for the first part of 2019 which will also provide a small pool available for future bids. After December class the new hire plan for the first part of 2019 is: January 34, February 52, March 46, April 12. The 52 upgrades will be spread out over those 4 months.
I know it’s still early, but any word on interviews from this latest window? Only people I’ve heard getting interviews so far were from the last window.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Some twerps found out exactly what that’s like by landing in Modesto with the parking brakes on, in an ill-considered attempt to balance the fluid between green and yellow.
Beagle did it in Nashville once too, landed about a half hour after them and the ERJ was still on the runway with all the doors open.

I know it’s still early, but any word on interviews from this latest window? Only people I’ve heard getting interviews so far were from the last window.
I haven't heard anything. It sounds like this plan just came up out of nowhere so most likely the guys from the latest round of window open will probably be getting calls. The window will probably open up again here shortly.

Was it jetblue or some other A320 operator where it landed with the parking brake still on. Something about the FOs habit of hitting emer cancel during the touchdown/rollout phase to hide some light/sound and how it masked the fact the parking brake was on.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Was it jetblue or some other A320 operator where it landed with the parking brake still on. Something about the FOs habit of hitting emer cancel during the touchdown/rollout phase to hide some light/sound and how it masked the fact the parking brake was on.
That doesn't even make sense. If you hit EMER CANC with the brake on as you touch down the warning you're canceling wouldn't do you any good, because you'd already be sliding.

That doesn't even make sense. If you hit EMER CANC with the brake on as you touch down the warning you're canceling wouldn't do you any good, because you'd already be sliding.

Found it. The FO used spoilers inflight and as he put them away he accidentally turned the parking brake on. And upon touch down, he hit the emer cancel button (by habit) to silence the AP Disconnect noise.

Here it is....

The Aviation Herald

Accident: Jetblue A320 at Sacramento on Aug 26th 2010, brake fire on landing

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Mar 9th 2014 20:01Z, last updated Sunday, Mar 9th 2014 20:01Z

The NTSB released their final report concluding the probable cause of the accident was:

The first officer’s inadvertent activation of the parking brake in flight, which led to the airplane abruptly stopping and all four of its main landing gear tires deflating, and his use of a nonstandard procedure to cancel the airplane's monitoring alert system.

The NTSB reported that 4 seconds prior to the engagement of park brakes at 5116 feet MSL the speedbrakes were operated, the switch of which is near the park brake switch. The NTSB analysed: "It is likely that the first officer inadvertently activated the parking brake at the same time."

After touch down the first officer pushed and held down the ECAM emergency cancel pushbutton, which was his typical procedure to preempt the autopilot disconnect audio. This action also cancelled, in part, visual indications associated with the activation of the park brake. The operator's procedures state to use the ECAM emergency cancel push button only in case of spurious master cautions. Examination of the aircraft showed no malfunction. The NTSB analysed: "If the first officer had not cancelled out most of the visual alert indications associated with the in-flight parking brake activation, it is likely that a visual warning would have alerted the flight crew to the in-flight parking brake activation."