AS application question-employment history

Skåning

If you're thinking about the eskimo, keep in mind the minuscule number of retirements in the next ten years now that the lists are combined. Guys like AA/DL/UA will have 40-50% of their lists hitting age 65 in the next two years. On the other hand, AS will only have about 60 retirements a year out of a 2800+ pilot group. That's only ~20%. So someone hired today will only be like half way up the FO list in 10 years, let alone anywhere near upgrade.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
If you're thinking about the eskimo, keep in mind the minuscule number of retirements in the next ten years now that the lists are combined. Guys like AA/DL/UA will have 40-50% of their lists hitting age 65 in the next two years. On the other hand, AS will only have about 60 retirements a year out of a 2800+ pilot group. That's only ~20%. So someone hired today will only be like half way up the FO list in 10 years, let alone anywhere near upgrade.
Don't worry, it'll get even worse when Alaska merges with JetBlue.

Then everyone will be happy to have a job during the next recession when the legacy carriers stop hiring and shrink their lists through retirements.

The hiring will start again and we can all get back to complaining.

Don't worry, it'll get even worse when Alaska merges with JetBlue.

Then everyone will be happy to have a job during the next recession when the legacy carriers stop hiring and shrink their lists through retirements.

The hiring will start again and we can all get back to complaining.
Checks the date. Yeah, its October bro. It's still too early for The Grinch to be making an appearance.

jtrain609

Also, dude, half the lists hitting 65 in 2 years? Pretty sure you need to check your data there guy.

jtrain609

I’m not your guy, pal
I'm not you pal, buddy.

Seriously we could do this all day, but American will retire 8% in the next two years, United 6%, and Delta 5%.

I know it's not that the internet want's the world to believe, but the numbers don't really crank for a few more years, and even then nobody is cresting 10% of their list retiring per year.

I'm not saying things are perfect at Alaska, I'm just saying that most of the hype about legacy retirements is just that; hype.

Cloud Surfer

All Roads lead to Trantor
I'm not you pal, buddy.

Seriously we could do this all day, but American will retire 8% in the next two years, United 6%, and Delta 5%.

I know it's not that the internet want's the world to believe, but the numbers don't really crank for a few more years, and even then nobody is cresting 10% of their list retiring per year.

I'm not saying things are perfect at Alaska, I'm just saying that most of the hype about legacy retirements is just that; hype.
I tend to think so, too. The so called retirements are definitely forcing seniority-movement at my shop, but it is meager at best. Many legacy/mainline newhires are also still military pilots (roughly 50% of newhires at Delta and United); that is an additonal hurdle for a civilian pilot to contend with. Experienced military pilot with ample leadership experience and multiple master's degrees > regional captain with volunteering on the record. The pilot shortage is hype and nonsense promulgated by the media on behalf of the regionals so that candidates who are lukewarm about leaving their part 91 and part 135 job or CFI job make the switch, and become stuck on the seniority list over time. The individuals complaining about being at Alaska, JetBlue, Spirit seriously ought to shut up and come to grips with how good they have it.

Last edited:

Quarryman

I tend to think so, too. The so called retirements are definitely forcing seniority-movement at my shop, but it is meager at best. Many legacy/mainline newhires are also still military pilots (roughly 50% of newhires at Delta and United); that is an additonal hurdle for a civilian pilot to contend with. Experienced military pilot with ample leadership experience and multiple master's degrees > regional captain with volunteering on the record. The pilot shortage is hype and nonsense promulgated by the media on behalf of the regionals so that candidates who are lukewarm about leaving their part 91 and part 135 job or CFI job make the switch, and become stuck on the seniority list over time. The individuals complaining about being at Alaska, JetBlue, Spirit seriously ought to shut up and come to grips with how good they have it.
Annnnnd we have a winner! You can have any airline job you want so long as it's a low paying regional one.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I'm not you pal, buddy.

App looks good, just keep doin what you’re doin.