AS application question-employment history

Cherokee_Cruiser

5 involuntary Bus CA displacements, 1 from LAX and 4 from SFO. The LAX was the plug and he used his displacement rights and went to SFO as CA. Of the 4 in SFO, 1 downgraded himself to SF FO instead of commuting to CA in LA. The other 3 took 737 LAX CA.

Most junior CA is at 737 LAX, came over from ANC FO hired 07/2015.

Vacancies to be filled by newhires:

320 SFO - 27
320 LAX - 40
737 LAX - 24

RMCBear08

LAX 737 is looking more and more attractive. I'd already be a line holder there and have almost 46 below me, not including the 24 vacancies above.
Exactly why I decided to pull the rip cord on this bid and go over. I’ll be in solid line holder territory with more coming in behind with the vacancies.

If I didn’t commute, I probably would have considered staying on the ‘Bus longer, but reserve here is awful and even with the estimated number of lines they published I might not have been able to hold one. Not to mention the variety of trips on the 73 as well. I think I’ve been East of the Sierras twice in the last few months....

For those that might be wondering; ANC is currently about a year wait and PDX looks like several years to get into. While they aren’t hiring into SEA, it should be attainable relatively quickly. YMMV.

Skåning

This came out today from management, big word of caution about the future if you were thinking about going to AS.

Network changes: summer 2020 schedule

In 2020 and beyond, we’re going to be focusing on growing our market share in the Pacific Northwest. To help us meet these goals, our network planning team has run the numbers, reviewed our revenue, and developed some changes to our summer schedule.

As we continue to strive to be the best airline in the face of unrelenting competition, these changes will help us maintain our seat share in Seattle and strengthen markets and build frequency where we see strong returns on investment.

Seattle’s a thriving and expanding region, and it’s our hometown. We need to continue growing to keep pace with the region, provide our guests with the best service possible and be the best airline in Seattle. We know the SEA operation is constrained, and one of our highest priorities is to manage Seattle congestion. The fact is that we have to grow Seattle to maintain our gates and hold off competition.

So, what does this mean for the summer schedule?

For the summer, we’re down-gauging our intra-California routes and increasing frequencies with smaller aircraft – both Horizon and SkyWest. Moving this flying to regionals frees us up to fly mainline jets on Seattle routes to Montana and other popular summer destinations.

We’re also adding mainline frequency on successful, long-haul routes from Seattle. Last summer, we saw strong demand for our network from Seattle and we’re adding capacity to match.

Both of these changes will give our guests more options and coverage for the places they want to fly. It also gives us more and longer flying, which means better productivity.

The summer schedule runs from May 21-August 17, and you’ll be able to see the changes in the new schedule on December 21.

BEEF SUPREME

Yeah that email didn’t strike me as a good thing either. But part of me thinks it may be a temporary thing because they were planning on having the MAX by now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reserve4Ever

People would have to be out of all other options to consider coming to Alaska at this point given the rest of the industry. No growth, worst work rules in the industry, very few retirements, and no aircraft coming. Given the latest email, looks like giving up on “most west coast”. Junior people will be lucky to avoid being furloughed over the next couple years unless something changes.

ShortField

No one of consequence
Yeah that email didn’t strike me as a good thing either. But part of me thinks it may be a temporary thing because they were planning on having the MAX by now?

I’m sure that has something to do with it, but that’s not too many planes yet. At least we’re flying to Montana now.

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich

Pulling mainline flying out of CA to go to Montana out of SEA, an airport already beyond capacity? Tell me more!

BEEF SUPREME

Pulling mainline flying out of CA to go to Montana out of SEA, an airport already beyond capacity? Tell me more!
I mean personally. I'm hoping for something other than gloom and doom. Because I don't want to switch jobs again. If Horizon gets 190s I'm out and I'm currently working on an exit strategy. I just don't want to have to start over again.

JordanD

Honorary Member
If you were hired in the last two years, you sadly may not have a choice
☹That sucks so bad, I’ve had a lot of good friends go there recently. The question in this environment is how??? Everyone seems like they’re making money hand over fist.

Cherokee_Cruiser

☹That sucks so bad, I’ve had a lot of good friends go there recently. The question in this environment is how??? Everyone seems like they’re making money hand over fist.
Gloom and doom talk. There are no furloughs here. And AS is also making money hand over fist. Panic has started with the lease returns which is what people are referring to as “shrinkage.” We returned 1 Bus this year and will return 2 in 2020. The bulk of the Bus lease returns are from 2021-2024. An educated guess says we will return to an all Boeing fleet but because the MAX is still grounded, they haven’t made an announcement. But the MAX will fly in 2020 and AS will make a large aircraft order.

There is a big shift in flying, more mainline out of SEA on Bus and intra California more on QX/SKY. News articles saying Bus to MKE and MSO plus the frequency increases as well in various cities (like PIT). For pilots though the question is what does that mean for SF/LA Airbus bases? Will they open a SEA Bus base? That would be costly with numerous Boeing guys bidding Airbus.

BEEF SUPREME

If you were hired in the last two years, you sadly may not have a choice
There have been nearly 500 pilots hired in the last two years. What are you saying?

I’m right at the beginning of that wave and if I faced an involuntary job loss it would be pretty grim times indeed.