1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anywhere in the world in less than an hour

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by RDoug, Oct 4, 2017.

1. desertdog71

desertdog71 Girthy Member

Rural areas will be slow to adapt but it will happen eventually.

I must not be communicating the point very well. Once again, I will say it. Musk won't have dollars to do other things like the original poster mentioned if his car company doesn't grab market share quickly since he's about to have a lot of competition. GM and Ford both have announced they will have electric models of everything by 2023.

The infrastructure for fueling these things on your average road trip with the family is going to be a major hurdle to overcome. All electric vehicles are impractical as things stand right now. Slapping up solar panels in places like where I live is also impractical since giant chunks of ice falling from the sky is pretty routine here. Wind energy would be more practical here.

I drove an electric car in Germany and it was fine for a trip to the corner store or work if you are within 20 miles or so, but a road trip wasn't happening there either. Having charging stations shouldn't be a big deal or even very costly but space for multiple vehicles to charge will be a problem once there are more of them on the road. I can envision large multi-bay charging stations with convenience stores and restaurants attached to eat in while your car is charging up. Perhaps even arcades and other diversions. Gas stations will be more like truck stops. I don't know how long it takes to charge one of these things up but I imagine its going to be 30 mins or more.

2. z987k

z987k TeamANC

The superchargers can give you a 50% charge in 20 minutes and 80% in 40 minutes. 50% on a model S is around 170 miles.

Derg likes this.
  3. desertdog71

So it would make sense to have a bunch of bays with chargers and restaurants etc, like I said. Hotel/Motel would do well to have charging stations also.

4. z987k

z987k TeamANC

Ya.... to be honest I don't think they are good for a road trip outside their range yet. Maybe 1 charging station away max. I'd be pissed if I had to wait 75 mins for a full charge to keep going. Might as well take a damn horse with how bad your average speed will be sitting around all the time. On the other hand if they're willing to pay for all your electricity like they currently do, it makes it very economical.

5. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO THE HORSE-POCALYPSE THAT HAS OCCURRED SINCE THE RISE OF THE AUTOMOBILE!

z987k likes this.
  6. Derg

Derg Naval Intelligence, MCRN Staff Member

That's cool, but if we depend on rural America for innovation, I'd have a dope-assed flip phone and probably be speaking a different dialect of English! :)

Remember, I wasn't born and raised in the city!

darrenf likes this.
  7. T/O w/FSII

T/O w/FSII Well-Known Member

http://fortune.com/2017/09/23/tesla-superchargers-convenience-stores/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

darrenf likes this.
  8. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Paid to sleep, fly for fun

Electric vehicles make great sense where I live. Expensive gas, hydro power, furthest we go is about 20 miles from home. I would love for our next vehicle to be all electric, for distances or weather that aren't conducive to the bicycles.

9. Derg

I've run the numbers. The number of times I'll leave my garage with a full tank and drive 400 miles to the point I need gas is about once every 24-36 months when I go to California.

Between here and the valley where my family lives, I generally stop about three times for gas, dirty magazines*, urination and something to eat. Invariably, where I'd stop for these things are Super Charger stations at any of which, for a pretty short stay to take care of the above, will afford a few more hundred miles of range.

Even PHX to LAS, I'd stop in Wickenburg to pee (Supercharger), again in Kingman to pee and get a heavily caffienated soda (Supercharger) and most of the hotels I'd go to have charging stations.

Effectively, I'm stopping as often as I'd stop anyway and with incremental charging, but it'd pretty much make the trip without recharging at all, in some circumstances.

* :sarcasm:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    darrenf likes this.
  10. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

For long range driving options, and probably on trucks, you'll find electric motors as the main drive and probably a gas or diesel generator to charge it. Not 100% electric but still much more efficient. There's already at least one car out there that does this, can't remember its name though, saw it on Top Gear a few years ago. (It's pretty much a limited super car)

11. Bob Ridpath

Bob Ridpath Pit Bull love

Sigh ... you guys are all excited about the soon-to-arrive Brave New World, and I just want to get my hands on a 1943 Willys Jeep.

chrisreedrules and NovemberEcho like this.
  12. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

I don't see a foot note! That asterix is killing me...unless...is that supposed to be a butt hole? Gross!

darrenf likes this.
  13. desertdog71

meanwhile I drive 90 miles one way to Tulsa to fly our on my assignments, no supercharger at the employee lot at TUL. Supercharger locations are Wichita, Joplin or Broken Arrow all 90 miles or more from me. So, like I said, its going to take a while in rural areas. It's the price I pay for cheap COL and no neighbors to see, hear or smell.

Roger Roger likes this.
  14. T/O w/FSII

T/O w/FSII Well-Known Member

Chevy Volt does exactly this

15. darrenf

darrenf resident denizen

You wouldn't need a supercharger. Two reasons, you could drive round trip on one charge, and , Level 2 charging on site would have you recharged in about 3 hours, so by the time you got back you'd be fully charged again. Airports are starting to put these into certain parking lots.

16. trafficinsight

trafficinsight Well-Known Member

It's name was Geoff.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

NovemberEcho likes this.
  17. Derg

Oh I was going to put a “sarcasm” tag bellow but forgot. Standby!

18. NovemberEcho

Does it? My buddy has a Volt and it acts either as all electric or like a normal car when the battery runs out but he still needs to plug it in. That was a 2014 model though

19. NovemberEcho

Lol ok so there's 2. Fisker Karma is what I was originally thinking of but it's not in production anymore.

20. darrenf

darrenf resident denizen

My understanding of the volt (both generations) is that the combustion engine can directly power the wheels.