1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tow pilots out There?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by ozone, Mar 18, 2017.

1. ozone

ozone Well-Known Member

i have a question for any tow pilots out there: my club is trying to figure out the best way to mount a rear view mirror on the strut of a PA-18. We have a mirror inside, but no one likes it. If anyone here has ideas/pictures, I'd love to hear about your solutions.

2. hammerhat

hammerhat Well-Known Member

I don't fly PA18 but in our PA25 we have both inside and outside mirrors and both are equally useless.

3. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

GoPro and a panel-mount iPad. Boom.

killbilly likes this.
  4. Urp99

Urp99 Well-Known Member

I used to tow in a Maule and I put a wide angle mirror on the strut using 4 straps of .032 aluminum. Just wrapped the straps around the strut, held it tight with vice grips, drilled the hole and mounted the mirror. It was rock solid, didn't vibrate at all, and everyone that flew that airplane said it was the only mirror they'd seem that actually worked. It's the only one I ever mounted though, so I don't know if it was skill or dumb luck ...

5. ozone

ozone Well-Known Member

got pictures? That sounds like a workable setup. What size mirror did you use? I was at fleet farm today and they come in all sizes, It seemed like a 5" round mirror was a bit big, but then again, you are having to spot a glider from 200 ft away in a mirror...

6. Urp99

Urp99 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't, that was 20 years ago. As I recall the strips of aluminum I cut were about 2 inches wide and I sandwiched 3 or 4 of them together. The mirror was about 4 X 5, and even then the glider could get out of view when they were boxing the wake. They look goofy, but I think the bigger the better.

7. killbilly

killbilly Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens

Had same idea except for the panel mount. Could kneeboard it easily enough or yoke mount an iPhone.

Needs power though. That GoPro app will eat your battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro