Any road videogamers here?

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
There is a developer with a small yacht somewhere thanks to me. Use caution on mobile games.

Richman

RAID 1 is mirrored. RAID 0 is striped and while fast, if one drive fails you are SOL same as having a single drive.

My last build was a RAID 1 + 0 setup with 4 drives. Sounded like a fleet of drones firing up, but it was fast AND robust. More than once I had a drive go up in smoke, and I just grabbed a new HD and popped it in (I usually kept one or two on the shelf). 30 minutes of “rebuilding the array” and you were back 100%. Even with a dedicated backup unit, it’s hard beat that.

Raid 1 with SSD speed is awesome and redundant. Remember, SSDs don’t last forever...

srn121

Stellaris is having a free weekend on Steam if you want to check it out and the games heavily discounted too.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
RAID 1 is mirrored. RAID 0 is striped and while fast, if one drive fails you are SOL same as having a single drive.

My last build was a RAID 1 + 0 setup with 4 drives. Sounded like a fleet of drones firing up, but it was fast AND robust. More than once I had a drive go up in smoke, and I just grabbed a new HD and popped it in (I usually kept one or two on the shelf). 30 minutes of “rebuilding the array” and you were back 100%. Even with a dedicated backup unit, it’s hard beat that.

Raid 1 with SSD speed is awesome and redundant. Remember, SSDs don’t last forever...
Indeed. Note that RAID doesn't protect you against a software "fandango-on-disk" or controller failures too, but it sure is nice for hard disk drive failures.

TWP

Sometimes I’ll bring the switch and play some doom or Zelda for that nostalgia trip.

Richman

Indeed. Note that RAID doesn't protect you against a software "fandango-on-disk" or controller failures too, but it sure is nice for hard disk drive failures.
Soooo, I was typing away one day, and smelled "magic smoke". Sure enough, one of my hard drives had blown its top and smoke was coming out of it. Just lunched itself for one reason or another.

About 3 minutes later, I get a popup from the Western Digital drive monitor "one of your hard drives may be failing". Nothing like an "o'rly?" moment.

Grabbed a replacement, popped it in, took a lunch break, and I was back in business. Replacements on Amazon were down to like $50 per, so I ordered a couple more to put on the shelf (which is the best way to prevent failure).

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Soooo, I was typing away one day, and smelled "magic smoke". Sure enough, one of my hard drives had blown its top and smoke was coming out of it. Just lunched itself for one reason or another.

About 3 minutes later, I get a popup from the Western Digital drive monitor "one of your hard drives may be failing". Nothing like an "o'rly?" moment.

Grabbed a replacement, popped it in, took a lunch break, and I was back in business. Replacements on Amazon were down to like $50 per, so I ordered a couple more to put on the shelf (which is the best way to prevent failure).
I must be stupid lucky, but I've never had a rotational disk fail. Had plenty of software misbehavior, but I've never had one go before MTBF or at least without SMART or hdparm (I think it is) throwing plenty of warnings about impending doom.

Well I guess that isn't quite true...I did have a Western Digital external drive quit on me. Losers.

trafficinsight

I must be stupid lucky, but I've never had a rotational disk fail. Had plenty of software misbehavior, but I've never had one go before MTBF or at least without SMART or hdparm (I think it is) throwing plenty of warnings about impending doom.

Well I guess that isn't quite true...I did have a Western Digital external drive quit on me. Losers.
I think the last actual disk failure I've had was a full height 170mb Seagate....

Would have been sometime around '93 I think....

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

z987k

I've had a couple WD drives fail. But everything I has is Solid state now and I've yet to see anything at all.

nibake

Powder hound
I would imagine with FSX being so old now any “gaming” marketed PC would do well from the last few years. Could probably build one yourself for $600 that would work great.
Nevermind the fact that it is old, that doesn't necessarily make it run better. Graphics tend to be not that well optimized, so powerful graphics is helpful, but most importantly it can't multi-thread so unless each individual CPU you have needs to be good, having a 6 core low performance CPU won't help much when FSX just maxes out one of the CPU's.

Richman

Considering that Disney just won a universe full of money with a 3 hour movie of what was up until 10 years ago a cast of B list characters from a bankrupt comic company, I’d say that nerds rule....