Any road videogamers here?

Hammertime

I have an ancient Alienware M14X. I bought it because at the time it was the most horsepower I could get in a sub-15" laptop. I'm not lugging around a giant 17" gaming laptop. I love it. It has a lot of little features outside of the normal advertised stats that I appreciate. For instance, it uses the embedded Intel graphics card until you boot up a game, then switches to a separate NVIDIA card. (And, you can watch the battery die second by second). I know Alienware is old hat in the gaming world, but I'm intrigued by the new 13" with the graphics booster thing for home use.

As far as games go, I have almost every title ever made by Sid Meier on Steam. I also play all the Blizzard games except WoW (those are online, though). The Total War series is also great if you like strategy games. As I've aged, I've moved from FPS to more strategy and even (I hate to admit it...) RPGs. I can only play Halo and Call of Duty offline. If I go online, some 15 year old kid kills me in about 15 seconds and insults my mother... About 3 minutes later, I'm ready to throw the controller through the tv...

B200 Hawk

This might be off topic but what type of desktop would you guys who know this stuff recommend for running Microsoft flight sim? I have been running it for years just to do instrument stuff on my super old Toshiba laptop and want a desktop system where I can max out all the graphics and stuff without it lagging.
I would imagine with FSX being so old now any “gaming” marketed PC would do well from the last few years. Could probably build one yourself for $600 that would work great.

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
This might be off topic but what type of desktop would you guys who know this stuff recommend for running Microsoft flight sim? I have been running it for years just to do instrument stuff on my super old Toshiba laptop and want a desktop system where I can max out all the graphics and stuff without it lagging.
I custom built my machine but a mid-range to upper level graphics card, mid-range processor, and 8/16gb of RAM.

GTX1050 or better, i5 or better, etc.

bLizZuE

My gaming rig at home is a X99 64GB, twin GTX 1070 in SLI and two 1 TB SSDs in RAID 1.
Does the RAID offer any performance boost? (I’m too old to remember if 1 is stripe or mirror so be gentle)

Alchemy

Partner, Ally, Friend
I just got a new Origin EON-15S laptop and have been known to kill an hour of in-flight break time playing single player doom 2016 or something if I'm not sleepy. I'm an old man and getting my ass kicked in online multiplayer deathmatch by tweens isn't much fun, so I mostly just play single player stuff aside from when the wife tries to make me MMOG with her (although CS:GO is kinda fun for about 20-30 minutes). I played league of legends on/off for 3 or 4 years but have decided I hate that game. I also have all the old Call of Duty games on there and will play them in-flight in arcade mode or something. Really chews up some time on those 14 hour block times if I'm not sleepy on my break.

It's a pretty big laptop (15" screen) but since I live in base at the moment and rarely commercial, i'm not giving much of a damn how heavy the luggage for my trip is. Sometimes when you're on your 100th ICN layover of the year you just wanna stay inside and pay some vidya gamez, although at home I'd rather go on a hike or shoot a real gun, at least when it's not 0 Fahrenheit.

bLizZuE

For reads maybe. That’s just gratuitous if they’re both NVMe.
I had to google it. 0 is stripe, 1 is mirror. Worked great back in the day with 10k rpm drives. Was like a dream compared to 7200 single drive.

But now I’m pretty sure my single SSD smokes it.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
I had to google it. 0 is stripe, 1 is mirror. Worked great back in the day with 10k rpm drives. Was like a dream compared to 7200 single drive.

But now I’m pretty sure my single SSD smokes it.
Very much so. I don’t do RAID simply because it’s one more thing to break and unless it’s RAID 5, doesn’t really add anything of value for my use case.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
On a related note...

If there are any iOS titles I should be playing, I'd like to know about them. Gaming on the more "mobile" platforms is pretty foreign to me still.