Any road videogamers here?

B200 Hawk

Decided to throw a 4 days worth of dough at a new gaming laptop (cue the gaming and laptops jokes) for the road. Was on the fence between this and a Nintendo switch, but not really into the whole Mario thing. Anyone else? Any decent offline time killing games to try?

Last edited:

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
If you haven't played any- and all of the XCOM series, well, get to it. And be prepared to throw your laptop out the window...

I bought a Dell XPS 15 for my parole present from the Whiz, because I knew I'd be commuting and going to school; it's a fantastic machine even if not intended primarily as a gaming device. The 1050 in it is adequate.

What did you buy?

B200 Hawk

If you haven't played any- and all of the XCOM series, well, get to it. And be prepared to throw your laptop out the window...

I bought a Dell XPS 15 for my parole present from the Whiz, because I knew I'd be commuting and going to school; it's a fantastic machine even if not intended primarily as a gaming device. The 1050 in it is adequate.

What did you buy?
MSI GS65 with the new RTX lineup, just the 2060 though.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
MSI GS65 with the new RTX lineup, just the 2060 though.
Oh very nice. I wanted to stay with Dell for service reasons (I had one logic board cook early on, so that was a really good call) but I'm very happy with the purchase. How are the aesthetics with the MSI? That's the skinny version right?

Soul Brotha'

I use a Nintendo switch. My boys stopped playing it so I gave it a shot on the road. Does enough for me to pass some time. No Mario games for me. FIFA, NBA2K, LA Noire.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
Civ* are good, Far Cry are spectacular AAA thrillers too, since you've got all that GFX horsepower.

I rather enjoyed Watch_Dogs 2 for the ability to do hilarious things to simulated TechIndustryBros in a simulated SF Bay as well.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I bought an Acer Predator last year during the Amazon-we-f-everything-up-sale and it has served me well. Still haven’t put Kerbal on it but it runs Assetto Corsa and Cities:Skylines well.

B200 Hawk

Oh very nice. I wanted to stay with Dell for service reasons (I had one logic board cook early on, so that was a really good call) but I'm very happy with the purchase. How are the aesthetics with the MSI? That's the skinny version right?
It actually is pretty solid for being a thin laptop. Just under .7 in thick, 4.1 lbs. It isn't quite Macbook build quality but it seems strong enough. Screen is amazing and the keyboard feels incredibly nice.

Dphoenix

Love lasagna, hate mondays
I've got this guy: ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 (8th-Gen) 15.6" Ultra Slim Gaming Laptop, 144 Hz IPS-Type G-SYNC Panel, GTX 1080 8 GB, Intel Core i7-8750H Processor (up to 3.9 GHz), 512 GB PCIe SSD, 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz - Newegg.com Definitely larger and a bit heavier, but GTX1080 and was pretty close to best in class when I bought it 2 years ago. It's been a good laptop for me, and pretty durable considering. Of course what they don't mention is that although they got the laptop down to 4.97 lbs, the power supply weighs another several... I think razer is still ahead as far as powerful but light/thin laptops, however I hear the durability and support are.. not good. Probably a newer version of the ROG Zephyrus... looks like this: ROG Zephyrus S (GX531) | Laptops | ASUS USA is probably the newest one? Idk.

Boots2Wings

I bring my gaming laptop with me on my runs. Usually Im playing pubg, or war thunder on my layovers during the day. Nice thing is a lot of people I've always played with are eu so the times match up nicely.

srn121

If you're looking for something offline to waste at least several hours, spanning into days and possibly beyond and you've already tried Civilization you might want to look into Stellaris or Europa Universalis. Their parent company has a few other titles that are more complex as well and they update all their games every now and then which keeps the games pretty fresh, plus there are no shortage of mods that are probably worth checking out. I haven't stayed on top of too much of what else has come out lately as it seems like there's no shortage of games getting published, but not so many good ones.

If you never got into Mass Effect I would recommend playing through them. I can't remember if they're all on Origin, but you used to be able to do a monthly subscription and hopefully in two or three months you'd have time to get through them all.

N3901C

This might be off topic but what type of desktop would you guys who know this stuff recommend for running Microsoft flight sim? I have been running it for years just to do instrument stuff on my super old Toshiba laptop and want a desktop system where I can max out all the graphics and stuff without it lagging.

Autothrust Blue

"Duuuuuude."
This might be off topic but what type of desktop would you guys who know this stuff recommend for running Microsoft flight sim? I have been running it for years just to do instrument stuff on my super old Toshiba laptop and want a desktop system where I can max out all the graphics and stuff without it lagging.
I mean, if you need instrument stuff, you don’t need to max the visuals, right?