Another Which Regional Thread

jweldon

“Member”
Hey guys I'm at 1200 and I still haven't made a decision about which regional to go to. I've been flying the emb-120, so I think it'd be cool to fly the emb-145 but I don't mind. I have no signifigant other and will relocate anywhere. I'd like a quick upgrade and a class date ASAP, but other than that I have no idea where to go and where to avoid. Sorry to be so vague but I'm really at a loss here. It seems like a lot of the premium regionals are beginning to staff up and I might have missed the boat.

Thanks all,
JW

Beefy McGee

I am at PSA.

If I was just applying now, I would be looking at PSA (CRJ200/700/900), Envoy (145/175), Endeavour (CRJ200/900), or maybe Expressjet (CRJ200, 145/175).

The first two are the most stable AA wholly owned regionals with a flow agreement to AA, and Envoy will likely soon get a pay deal similar to PSA’s new deal. Both are gaining aircraft and pretty much upgrading as soon as an FO hits 1000 hours in 121 ops. (Piedmont is the third AA WO but seems to be having problems training and retaining, and may not be as stable as the other two WOs)

Endeavour has nice pay (maybe the best rates for now) and contract and is owned by Delta. Not sure about growth. They have an interview program with DL that may or may not be worth it. Pretty fast upgrades still.

ExpressJet just got bought buy a company majority backed by United in the background. Decent contract, United CPP program, rates could go up. Things might be very good there in the next couple years since they got bought. Time will tell. Longer upgrades, but historically has been a good company. They might be a bit overstaffed right now for the amount of planes they have / are about to get, not sure.

I would pick one of the above, and consider which one has a base you would like to live in, and can afford to live in on the pay you would receive. Then if you get the job move to that base and do your reserve time in that base. Life will be much simpler that way rather than commuting to reserve. Consider tax rates in various cities / states that the bases are in too when you make that decision.

Just about any other company out there besides Horizon (owned by Alaska and somewhat middle of the pack I’d say) may be a risky venture in the next few years, if they can’t maintain contracts with mainline partners.

AWAC is historically good but their pay is lagging somewhat now, and they have to renegotiate a contract with a mainline partner every few years.

Skywest is huge and historically was good but pay is somewhat lagging now and there is no union so pay negotiations are pretty much at the whim of management.

Republic is huge but has a CEO with a reputation for screwing his workers over. It’s ok now, but could go to crap again like it was a few years ago when negotiations were deadlocked for years.

TSA, GoJet, and Compass are all owned by the same company and are struggling to recruit (at least the first two anyway) and may run into trouble in the next couple years.

Same for Mesa. Struggling to recruit is all I have heard for a couple years now. Struggling to recruit can mean the company will not be able to meet the demands of their contract with mainline partners, which could lead to a loss of said contract.

Maybe Commutair as well, but I believe they are owned by the same entity that bought ExpressJet so they could be ok / improve over the next couple years.

Last edited:

ASpilot2be

Qbicle seat warmer
I am at PSA.

If I was just applying now, I would be looking at PSA (CRJ200/700/900), Envoy (145/175), Endeavour (CRJ200/900), or maybe Expressjet (CRJ200, 145/175).

The first two are the most stable AA wholly owned regionals with a flow agreement to AA, and Envoy will likely soon get a pay deal similar to PSA’s new deal. Both are gaining aircraft and pretty much upgrading as soon as an FO hits 1000 hours in 121 ops. (Piedmont is the third AA WO but seems to be having problems training and retaining, and may not be as stable as the other two WOs)

Endeavour has nice pay (maybe the best rates for now) and contract and is owned by Delta. Not sure about growth. They have an interview program with DL that may or may not be worth it. Pretty fast upgrades still.

ExpressJet just got bought buy a company majority backed by United in the background. Decent contract, United CPP program, rates could go up. Things might be very good there in the next couple years since they got bought. Time will tell. Longer upgrades, but historically has been a good company. They might be a bit overstaffed right now for the amount of planes they have / are about to get, not sure.

I would pick one of the above, and consider which one has a base you would like to live in, and can afford to live in on the pay you would receive. Then if you get the job move to that base and do your reserve time in that base. Life will be much simpler that way rather than commuting to reserve. Consider tax rates in various cities / states that the bases are in too when you make that decision.

Just about any other company out there besides Horizon (owned by Alaska and somewhat middle of the pack I’d say) may be a risky venture in the next few years, if they can’t maintain contracts with mainline partners.

AWAC is historically good but their pay is lagging somewhat now, and they have to renegotiate a contract with a mainline partner every few years.

Skywest is huge and historically was good but pay is somewhat lagging now and there is no union so pay negotiations are pretty much at the whim of management.

Republic is huge but has a CEO with a reputation for screwing his workers over. It’s ok now, but could go to crap again like it was a few years ago when negotiations were deadlocked for years.

TSA, GoJet, and Compass are all owned by the same company and are struggling to recruit (at least the first two anyway) and may run into trouble in the next couple years.

Same for Mesa. Struggling to recruit is all I have heard for a couple years now. Struggling to recruit can mean the company will not be able to meet the demands of their contract with mainline partners, which could lead to a loss of said contract.

Maybe Commutair as well, but I believe they are owned by the same entity that bought ExpressJet so they could be ok / improve over the next couple years.
Well, I can't really add much to that!

Horizon and Alaska just changed the "flow" so now you need 2000 hours at Horizon, and 1000 QX Capt time. With how little FOs are flying, that could be a while. But if you're after QOL, it isnt bad here.

BigZ

ExpressJet, especially if you have a degree and can get on some time soon (btw CRJ200 will be gone next couple of months, so 145/175 down the road)

PSA if you don't have a degree and want to end up at AA while having a decent paycheck in the process

austinrc

Crazy how just a week ago you would have never heard people recommending PSA, now all of a sudden its one of the front-runners. Things sure change quickly!

jweldon

“Member”
Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate it!
I am at PSA.

Perfect write up! When you say the TSA airlines may run into trouble is that because of staffing? Is there a risk they merge?
I'm still convinced anyone who recommends XJT needs to have their head examined.
Enlighten us of your reasons to say so
You and Mr. McGee both recommend xjet, but I’m kinda worried about the upgrade time. Is that silly to worry about? For the record I have a four year degree (non aviation unfortunately)

Beefy McGee

I think XJT <could> be good again down the road. Not enough time has passed since the United purchase to know for sure. Just my opinion. That’s why it was last in the places I listed. You definitely have better places to consider when it comes to upgrade time.

BigZ

It's a shell of it's former self, stocked with lifers who can't get past the CPP, and the only reason upgrade is under a decade is because they've artificially upgraded more than they need?
They shrunk beyond shrunk in the recent years, hence the ungodly upgrade times, but those are falling as of last bid. I'd imagine they keep doing that. Wouldn't be surprised if the 1000 hr new industry standard is reached some time next year.
Recent classes show a very healthy increase, UAL is putting a bunch of money into the airline. New (to them) CEO is a 50/50 shot, but the contract is pretty good, so is the pay, and there might be things other than CPP in the works for the flagship "new UAL Eagle" company.
It is a higher risk/higher potential reward deal, but it is not ExpressJet of pre-2018.

PS I'm at Envoy. Recently company/union talks have not been very productive, which is why I dont necessarily share the "pay raise just like PSA shortly" viewpoint. Besides, MQ is heavily invested into the RTP and cadet programs, so the classes run full.
With a 4 year degree research the current ExpressJet CPP and see if that would be a right thing for you.

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee
You and Mr. McGee both recommend xjet, but I’m kinda worried about the upgrade time. Is that silly to worry about? For the record I have a four year degree (non aviation unfortunately)
Normally I wouldn't worry too much about upgrade times, because they can change so fast. But in ExpressJet's case I'd stay away for all the reasons @jtrain609 said. ExpressJet is still shrinking, with 145s being redistributed to CommutAir and I believe also TSA, and it seems unlikely upgrade times will get much shorter.

Also, since they apparently have so many lifers, once you do upgrade you'd be junior for a very long time. There's probably more hope there than when they were owned by SkyWest, but United could still "Comair" them at any time (I also worry about this with C5 as well).

I'm assuming @BigZ recommended it with a 4-year degree because of the United Career Path Program, but like I said about CommutAir I would absolutely not go somewhere just for the CPP since it's not a true flow. I don't know about ExpressJet but at C5 the CPP pass rate seems to be quite low (I would estimate less than 25% but the actual statistics are kept secret).

Flying monkey

I chose Mesa great training program you get to pick the 175 and Iah will be your base, if you get to 1k 121 you can upgrade to capt. reserve is only about 90 days compared to the rest.

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
I’m at PSA as well. Our new pay rates plus premium pay incentives (125% for any credit over 75 hours and 150% for any credit over 85 hours) put us at or near the top of the regional pack. Our SAP for line-holders is a huge quality of life tool not matched almost anywhere in the industry.

That being said much of the rest of our contract (work rules, soft pay, etc) is lagging the rest of the industry and our flow agreement lags both Piedmont and Envoy. We also have a large percentage of our pilot group on reserve due to the scheduling inefficiencies that seem to be inherent to PSA. If you have any questions feel free to PM myself or any other PSA pilot.

If I were looking at a regional right now I would be looking at:

*PSA or Envoy (depending on if AA flow is important and where you live. Envoy will likely catch up in compensation). Choose based on what base you wouldn’t mind spending a few years in.

*Endeavor (Delta guaranteed interview but I’m not sure they are actively hiring at the moment. Good contract and great pay).

*Republic (Good contract and good pay. Many bases to choose from).

*ExpressJet (Good pay, some growth, but things are still in the “turning around” phase. You could time it very well or it could possibly still be a bust).

SeanD

Most junior CA at XJT was 2011 on the 145. CRJ is 2005? Good grief. So plenty of “W” hires still rockin 3 stripes. The new 175s Are just lipstick on a pig. They’re not growing the fleet.

Last edited:

phill1174

Go somewhere that’s growing that way you can get your time and get out. PSA and Endeavor seems to be the places to go right now. Of course that can change tomorrow. Growth also helps when it comes to volunteer opportunities with the union or if you ever decide you want to be a check airman.

srn121

I've had some buddies at Endeavor keep getting their class date pushed back and they all went elsewhere, but that was last year. As for Skywest here's their current most recent FO times and Captain upgrades by base. I had a friend go to DTW and based off their numbers it was hard to argue with him on that.

Pilot Jobs » SkyWest Airlines

You can see it by base here under seniority by base
Pilots

GoJet has their seniority list here
PILOT CAREERS

I'm sure some of the other guys here can find the ones for the other regionals. There are a lot more factors to look at when choosing a regional that I'm not all that on top of.

jtrain609

I'm a carnal, organic anagram.
Most junior CA at XJT was 2011 on the 145. CRJ is 2005? Good grief. So plenty of “W” hires still rockin 3 stripes. The new 175s Are just lipstick on a pig. They’re not growing the fleet.
All the W's have had a chance to update now.

It would have been a 10.5 year upgrade for me.