Another UA incident at EWR

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
NY/NJ had a bad day. There were decent sized hail balls yesterday too due to the storm. It was pretty gnarly for about 30 minutes.
it was weird storms. Had a DreamJet A321 get EWR in sight 10 miles out and land on a visual with bases ovc060, and 3 min later visibility was down 1 1/4sm with winds 23g48 ovc006. 10 min later it was a gorgeous sunny day.

Jordan93

it was weird storms. Had a DreamJet A321 get EWR in sight 10 miles out and land on a visual with bases ovc060, and 3 min later visibility was down 1 1/4sm with winds 23g48 ovc006. 10 min later it was a gorgeous sunny day.
I didn’t mind the weather. The storm cooled the temperature down by like 10 degrees and I didn’t have to work. Although now the weather has forced me to sit in 737 from LGA-DEN

mrivc211

Passenger says firefighter told him it blew a tire on takeoff and they worried about smoke in the wheel well. Or at least that’s what I’m deducing from his ramble

I don't know if I'd elect to evacuate down the slides for just some blown tires. I mean once the plane comes to a stop safely and theres no fire or damage, just wait for the airstairs. Whats the rush. same thing happened to me outta KSAN. We blew one on takeoff, left the gear down, held over SNA for 15 minutes then landed at LAX. All they used to do in training was hammer home, use the airstairs when possible to avoid injuries.

bimmerphile

SuperCritical™ Member
My car in Long Island wasn’t damaged. It’s an ‘03 Taurus so I’m not too worried about my boat being damaged. The thing is a tank.
I'm passing on my airport car that already has hail damage to my younger brother. This is the first trip I've done without it

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I don't know if I'd elect to evacuate down the slides for just some blown tires. I mean once the plane comes to a stop safely and theres no fire or damage, just wait for the airstairs. Whats the rush. same thing happened to me outta KSAN. We blew one on takeoff, left the gear down, held over SNA for 15 minutes then landed at LAX. All they used to do in training was hammer home, use the airstairs when possible to avoid injuries.
I think they had raised the gear and had a fire or smoke alert

knot4u

Repeat Offender
@MikeD how do you move a plane off the runway after something like this? Crane? Trailer? Jack it up and put something with wheels under the damaged gear?
I looked at the picture and wondered what I'd do to move the airplane since it looks like the axle jack point point has been probably ground away. It looks like everything up to the strut piston/axle has been removed, including portions of the brakes, I assume the wet spots are skydrol leaking from damaged brakes. If I was presented with a problem like this I'd get a wing jack and support the weight then let the pressure out of the strut, secure the strut and lift the whole thing enough to install a couple of wheels on the damaged axle, recharge the strut and set it down so it could at least be moved off of the runway. But I've never worked 121 aircraft and I've never been put in a situation like that.

TUCKnTRUCK

That guy
And if your pants have no pockets?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Then stick it in your bra, roll it in your pant cuffs, or wear something with pockets?

Maybe a fanny pack?

Last edited: