Another one bites the dust.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Um, yea, you do know this country was founded by people looking for freedom to practice their religion, free of hassle from the man, right? So one way to look at it is the country was started by what other people saw as religious nuts.

We seemed to have done alright.
no it wasn’t. Religious persecution was never a reason for the founding of the United States. And the Pilgrims that came here left Europe because it got too religioisly free for them and they weren’t allowed to persecute the people they wanted to. Now after the US was a thing many immigrants came here to escape religious persecution, but that was never a complaint against the British by the founders.

srn121

no it wasn’t. Religious persecution was never a reason for the founding of the United States. And the Pilgrims that came here left Europe because it got too religioisly free for them and they weren’t allowed to persecute the people they wanted to. Now after the US was a thing many immigrants came here to escape religious persecution, but that was never a complaint against the British by the founders.
Ever hear of some dude named William Penn? The dude got imprisoned in London more than a few times for his faith.

A man of deep religious convictions, Penn wrote numerous works in which he exhorted believers to adhere to the spirit of Primitive Christianity.[4] He was imprisoned several times in the Tower of London due to his faith, and his book No Cross, No Crown (1669), which he wrote while in prison, has become a Christian classic of theological literature.[5]
The dude was incredibly influential to this nations founders and was religiously prosecuted in numerous instances while in England.

As one of the earlier supporters of colonial unification, Penn wrote and urged for a union of all the English colonies in what was to become the United States of America. The democratic principles that he set forth in the Pennsylvania Frame of Government served as an inspiration for the members of the convention framing the new Constitution of the United States in Philadelphia in 1787.
Quakers were some of the most tolerant folks out there and I'm not a member, but have been really impressed with what I've learned of their faith.

BEEF SUPREME

That was the best part about my trip to Delft, NL. I was a wide eyed 17 year old. People I met from Holland were like: "Oh yeah the dickheads we kicked out went off to England with their •. Then everyone got pissed off with them in England and they went on to found you're country".

Me: "Oh wow that makes so much sense!"

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
Both of you are being practical and correct. No, I don't wear a mask in my car (or at home, unless I'm sawing larger boards into smaller ones in my woodshop), but several are in the passenger's seat so I can put one on and go in somewhere. I conflated 'out in public' with 'in the car,' and that isn't necessarily the same thing.

My observation would have been more accurate to say that the Trump fans are more likely to follow their leader in not wearing masks damn near anywhere. And that selfishness on their part puts MY health in some peril, and that's not OK with me.
I wear a mask in my car, but nothing else.

Eskhobbs

Pretty sure this example is worse than some. I'm a member of car forums and have yet to see those threads break out in religious arguments.
JC has become the worst for this out of all the forums I frequent but not surprising... A bunch of type A pilot personalities without much flying going on.

Although I'm starting think The Lav is turning into a mixture of any major west cost city's subreddit and nextdoor.

PGT

It's called "thread drift" and it happens all the time, in all online forums. JC and this thread are no different.
Forums will be better off switching to a reddit-style thread view. It seemed wrong at first but you can have multiple sub-topics without derailing the thread.