Another one bites the dust.

NickH

Dank Meme
Rumot is, Mesa coming soon. Not good. If they'd actually been serious about their 737 freight dreams, then they might have had a chance.

z987k

Rumot is, Mesa coming soon. Not good. If they'd actually been serious about their 737 freight dreams, then they might have had a chance.
While it sucks when people lose their jobs, there should be celebrating in the streets if the regionals don't survive this.

When it turns around all of that flying will be there again. The jobs will eventually come back, only they'd be a whole lot better.

DL/UA/AA can fly their own RJs. In house. With a mainline seniority number and other such things.

Screaming_Emu

Joe Conventional
While it sucks when people lose their jobs, there should be celebrating in the streets if the regionals don't survive this.

When it turns around all of that flying will be there again. The jobs will eventually come back, only they'd be a whole lot better.

DL/UA/AA can fly their own RJs. In house. With a mainline seniority number and other such things.
I’m not saying that demand hasn’t take a huge kick in the cahones, but I can’t help but wonder if Delta’s plan to emerge from this as a smaller carrier is in part to do with the supply of pilots available.

Flyinthrew

I’m not saying that demand hasn’t take a huge kick in the cahones, but I can’t help but wonder if Delta’s plan to emerge from this as a smaller carrier is in part to do with the supply of pilots available.
I'm not sure I follow. Can you explain?

Yakob

Grand Prognosticator Nominee

They can always start new regionals, or give the regional flying to the remaining regionals if any. I think it's unlikely they'd give up the cost advantages from outsourcing. All I can think of from the glee at airlines going out of business is this:

5. If (airline) goes under, isn’t that going to help us all?
LOL. Nope. Every downturn the groupthink says ”Well, it sucks now but if Frankfurter Airways goes down, we‘ll all do better and probably snap up those routes, the rest of us will be healthier”. Nah, that’s bad math, have heard it before and it’s stupidly inaccurate.
Sorry, haven’t finished the first cup of coffee yet.

Delta has said that they will emerge from this as a smaller carrier. I can’t help but wonder if this is just a convenient time to shrink down to a size that they can staff long term.
I suspect it's just realistic thinking about what demand will be like with the memory of a pandemic in everyone's minds, and how long it will take to recover from a downturn so deep we could end up with 20% unemployment (according to Steve Mnuchin). I doubt Delta has ever had trouble filling pilot classes and they certainly won't now with airlines going out of business left and right and the streets rapidly filling with newly unemployed pilots. Pilots are a dime a dozen now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Nah. I think they are anticipating the economy being much weaker at the end of this than the beginning.
Even in the absolute best case scenario, where strong national leadership gives us a cohesive plan to stomp this out hard and early, and we are creative with economic plans that allow businesses to spool right back up instead of being drowned in debt and interest from the shutdown period, the demand for travel is going to crater for a long time, especially as countries around the world continue to battle outbreaks. You’d probably see a rotating list of quarantines and international flight stoppages.
As things are going now, we’re heading toward a bastard child of the worst case health scenario and the worst case economic scenario while our president spouts idiocy daily sooooo who knows.

JDean3204

If... and this is a huge if the industry gets re-regulated, do you think that will kill the regionals? I know next to nothing about regulated vs deregulated, but remember reading that’s what created commuters in the first place.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Sorry, haven’t finished the first cup of coffee yet.

Delta has said that they will emerge from this as a smaller carrier. I can’t help but wonder if this is just a convenient time to shrink down to a size that they can staff long term.
That's what I'm wondering too. When I interviewed in January the plans were to hire 1350 this year. I don't know how big the seniority list was planning to get but it sounded like they wanted to grow astronomically. Then again tons of retirements this decade too. We will see what happens, I'm holding on for my life at the bottom. I hope the plan isn't to consolidate the seniority list massively in the short term, but at this point who knows. I'm mentally ready for the worst and hope for the best.

More people please come in soon. :p

Flyinthrew

More people please come in soon. :p
I'm standing in the short-ish line to get in below you! I was hoping that the company and union would come up with an attractive early retirement package for the oldies, even more so after they said they would shrink the airline, but now that the pilots and management are in a bit of a skirmish that hope is starting to decrease.

zmiller4

Nah. I think they are anticipating the economy being much weaker at the end of this than the beginning.
I would suspect that pilot staffing is somewhat low on the list of things Delta takes into account when planning longer term strategy.

If they’re planning on being a smaller company at the back end of this mess, my guess is that they anticipate a slow recovery.

Old Pete

Cockpit Authoritarian
If we’re starting a dead pool of regionals, I’m going with Republic, fat on pilots, high cost structure. The “cockroach” of the industry knows how to survive.