1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And it's not even summer yet (Passenger vs Pilot)

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Derg, Apr 20, 2017.

1. JordanD

JordanD Sizeable Member

Yeah, sorry, following someone to the curb to stick a camera in their face is asking for problems.

Derg, Kingairer, Yakob and 3 others like this.
  2. JetDoc

JetDoc Delta profit sharing contributor.

#hoganfail

SrFnFly227, Rocketman99 and Skåning like this.
  3. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

Anyone remember the hostile environment of IAD between the AWAC rampers/agents and XJET crews? That was awkward.

4. Der_Meister

Der_Meister Well-Known Member

I hated IAD when I was at XJT. I delayed a flight 3 hours because they didn't want to service the lav. Told us it was broken so we wrote it up and MX came out and made them dump it anyways... This guy wasn't going to fly 2.5 hours with out a working lav...

Derg likes this.
  5. SeanD

SeanD Well-Known Member

It was an awful place.

6. Screaming_Emu

Screaming_Emu You people

Meh. Once you learned to stop caring about things outside your sphere of control it wasn't bad. If you're a "yell at the old guy over the radio" kind of person, yeah...it's gonna suck.

7. Murdoughnut

Murdoughnut Well sized member

Don't apologize to me - I agree.

8. Richman

Richman Well-Known Member

Flown with guys like this in the distant past. They screamed at everyone....rampers, agents, ATC, whatever.

I never understood the psychology of those people. Not a single breath out of their pie hole ever caused one person to speed up or otherwise change what they were doing (usually quite the opposite).

I finally told one guy who was trying that on me "oh nay nay...the shriller you are, the slower I get. Choose wisely"

9. knot4u

knot4u Repeat Offender

I've simply walked away from abusive pilots and left them stranded with a broken airplane, why someone would want to try to belittle the person that can help them in their time of need baffles me. 95% of the crews are fun to work with and I'll bend over backwards to help, If I get treated like poop I'm out, and I've never lost a job because of it.

10. mshunter

mshunter Well-Known Member

SAME TEAM FARVA! SAME TEAM!!!

ZapBrannigan, JetDoc, Beep and 2 others like this.
  11. Skåning

Skåning Well-Known Member

I think what people (who get cray cray) fail to realize is that they are at work. If you were in a cubicle, would this conversation, attitude, etc, be appropriate? My wife works in an office and in my 9 years at the airlines I've noticed we tend to get chummier than our contemporaries in that environment. Maybe we (collectively) need more decorum. And at the end of the day, just be nicer to one another.

12. saxman

saxman Well-Known Member

I remember being at IAD once and the guy on the ops. would yell at every pilot that requested something, including myself. I too, asked for a lav. service before a 3 hour flight and I was belittled to even ask for something "5 minutes before departure." Just stated it hasn't been done, I'm just asking. He retorted back, "so you're saying its my job?!" Ummm, yes. Too bad I was just the FO then. My CA didn't want to wait, and I we just left.

The pilot in the video did good to walk away. I think of a few normally good pilot's would have had their adrenaline kick in and would gotten revenge. If that were to happen the media/social would of had a field day over the pilot, even though the passenger hit first.

13. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

You have a right to self defense. Just because you are in a uniform or working for some airline, doesn't not mean you cannot or aren't allowed to reasonably defend yourself from active or imminent bodily harm. That pax deserved a self defense ass kicking, and should've rightfully been issued one.

14. mshunter

mshunter Well-Known Member

So says the law.

So doesn't say the employer.

15. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

An employer cannot mandate that you be physically attacked and do zero about it to prevent yourself from being injured, or worse.

16. Der_Meister

Der_Meister Well-Known Member

I was an FO as well, I told the CA that I wasn't going to do the flight with out the lav working. I might need to take a pee on that 2.5 hour flight during my 12hr long day... He also agreed with me. :stir:

17. Cptnchia

Cptnchia Well-Known Member

I'd take an ambulance dive, claim I was too injured to work, and then sue the guy to recover lost wages.

18. ShyFlyer

ShyFlyer CAP Member

However, just imagine the proverbial field day the news media would have over the image of a uniformed airline employee fighting a passenger. Then, in addition, the social media warriors taking the news, horribly out of context of course, and making life for the pilot, and his airline, very difficult. I'd wager that's what was going through the pilot's mind during this altercation.

RickJames, SquatThrust and Yakob like this.
  19. NovemberEcho

NovemberEcho Well-Known Member

Heard that guy got hired by the Chicago Dept of Aviation.

20. saxman

saxman Well-Known Member

Yup. This was what I was trying to say. If the pilot had thrown a punch, all it would take is someone in his moms basement to edit things around and say "Pilot throws punches after passengers bumps into him." or "Rude pilot looses his cool when passenger tries to get a simple photo." Next thing you know it goes viral. You know how our media is. Post first, ask questions later. The talking heads would be asking, "Is this the kind of pilot you want flying your plane?"

Yakob likes this.