AN148 Crash near Moscow

srn121

I had high hopes for Russian and Ukrainian civilian jets as their history in aerospace is pretty tremendous, but it seemed like the rift with Ukraine and Russia pretty much ensured that this aircraft was doomed. It'll be interesting to see if the Ukrainians or Russians decide to update it at all, but the latter seem quite happy with the Superjet. With the Saudis dumping money into the AN-132 program hopefully that helps a bit with the Ukraianian aviation industry, but I wouldn't be surprised if their production lines and expertise were ultimately exported to other countries at the long-term expense of Ukraine and it's aerospace industry given how corrupt and worthless it's management has been since dissolution of the USSR. It is fascinating to see Saudi Arabia invest in one more industry outside of oil though and I'm excited for what their plans are for the aircraft in a civilian role.

It will be interesting to see what China does with the AN-225 and if they start domestically producing them or attempt to update them much at all.

zmiller4

I had high hopes for Russian and Ukrainian civilian jets as their history in aerospace is pretty tremendous
Wait what? That's hilariously Trump-like in so many ways. I mean, US airlines have had their share of problems, but vodka and letting your kids fly haven't really figured into our safety record.

Don’t get me wrong, Russian airplanes seem pretty badass...but their safety record as a whole sucks.

Last edited:

SeanD

Wait what? That's hilariously Trump-like in so many ways. I mean, US airlines have had their share of problems, but vodka and letting your kids fly haven't really figured into our safety record.

Serious question, are you a Russian bot?
Isn't that Superjet banned in a bunch of countries due to it's metal fatigue issues? One crashed on a demo flight too. It would take a crap ton of Vodka to get me on a Russian made airliner.

Stone Cold

Isn't that Superjet banned in a bunch of countries due to it's metal fatigue issues? One crashed on a demo flight too. It would take a crap ton of Vodka to get me on a Russian made airliner.
If memory serves correctly, the demo flight ran right into the side of a mountain. I don't remember all of the details, but it wasn't metal fatigue issues on that one. I haven't really kept up with it once our bosses were sure they didn't want one...

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
If memory serves correctly, the demo flight ran right into the side of a mountain. I don't remember all of the details, but it wasn't metal fatigue issues on that one. I haven't really kept up with it once our bosses were sure they didn't want one...
The crash in Indonesia? Yep, descended below the MOCA in mountainous terrain to demonstrate EGPWS and hit the side of a mountain.

srn121

I said 'Aerospace'. You're aware that the Soviet Union (of which both Ukraine and Russia were a part of) beat us to space, no? They launched the first satellite, Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin beat Alan Shepherd into space They also put the first woman in space. Those are all tremendous accomplishments, let alone things like the an-225 (highest MGTOW of any plane) and the Mi-26 (largest helicopter ever in mass production). I don't see how any of that has to deal remotely with Trump as it was a communist country at the time, but if you want to see Trump behind every bush and window then that says more about your unhinged mental state than anything as their was nothing remotely political about this post. Human beings can't get into space fast enough and I don't care which country or ideology contributes the most to it. but just that it happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliners_by_maximum_takeoff_weight

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
I've always had a thing for Russian aircraft. There's no denying they've come up with some fascinating aircraft and very creative solutions to problems that we just don't have to deal with in the west (namely, Siberia). There's the old joke the US spent millions inventing a pen that could write in 0 g. The Soviets took a pencil.

Beep

There's some object of some sorts you see in the video in front of the right main when it touches down, then you see parts of something (possibly the ground) pop up. I dunno - anyone else see it?
It looks like they ran over some of the airport lighting.

Tiptank

I said 'Aerospace'. You're aware that the Soviet Union (of which both Ukraine and Russia were a part of) beat us to space, no? They launched the first satellite, Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin beat Alan Shepherd into space They also put the first woman in space. Those are all tremendous accomplishments, let alone things like the an-225 (highest MGTOW of any plane) and the Mi-26 (largest helicopter ever in mass production). I don't see how any of that has to deal remotely with Trump as it was a communist country at the time, but if you want to see Trump behind every bush and window then that says more about your unhinged mental state than anything as their was nothing remotely political about this post. Human beings can't get into space fast enough and I don't care which country or ideology contributes the most to it. but just that it happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliners_by_maximum_takeoff_weight
Hey, don't forget Laika! Went from a mangy stray in Moscow to the first earthling in orbit.

jweldon

I've always had a thing for Russian aircraft. There's no denying they've come up with some fascinating aircraft and very creative solutions to problems that we just don't have to deal with in the west (namely, Siberia). There's the old joke the US spent millions inventing a pen that could write in 0 g. The Soviets took a pencil.
Always a good joke, but both of us used pencils in the early days. It became apparent they sucked thouh, because little bits of graphene were floating around from writing and from when the tips would break. Also Scientifc American points out they’re flammable and NASA started removing all the flammable things they could.

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Always a good joke, but both of us used pencils in the early days. It became apparent they sucked thouh, because little bits of graphene were floating around from writing and from when the tips would break. Also Scientifc American points out they’re flammable and NASA started removing all the flammable things they could.
You're not invited to my party.

Boris Badenov

He comes to save the day in a broken truck.
Also Scientifc American points out they’re flammable and NASA started removing all the flammable things they could.
It's hardly the Commies' fault that NASA barbecued the Apollo 1 astronauts. Whether the pencil myth is accurate or not, the overarching point stands. To wit, unlimited budgets breed unlimited complexity and thus unlimited modes of failure. There comes a point of diminishing returns on engineering. The Soviet-era Reds are the original "do more with less" all-stars, AFAICT. I mean, yes, we built the Saturn V and landed men on the Moon and all the rest, and well done us. But I suspect they could have done the same with maybe a few more casualties and a little bit more pig-iron and less aluminum, and they'd have come in on time and under budget because no one wanted to wind up in the gulag. Motivational, those gulags...