American Airlines service to Nellis AFB, now boarding.

Der_Meister

When you are fresh out of the military and missed out on all the red flag fun...

"Ah yes Nellis control I wish to divert to your non existent runway in the nevada test site due to weather in LAS"

Janet flys there in their 737 so they must have JP8... lol

Last edited:

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
When you are fresh out of the military and missed out on all the red flag fun...

"Ah yes Nellis control I wish to divert to your non existent runway in the nevada test site due to weather in LAS"

Janet flys there in their 737 so they must have JP8... lol
It actually "exists" now. For the longest time, it's ICAO was classified and not advertised. It was always in our INS database of the 117. KXTA.

No info about it other than runway length in things like the G530, but I was surprised to see it there. Smack dab in the middle off R-4808 where it's always been.

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
You guys burned that bridge. Last time I gave a hint of a backstory you all got your panties in a huge wad
Which one was that?

You can always PM it too.

It's more for interest than anything else. Because there's always a backstory to incidents like this. Could be something small, or something big, but there's always one. :D

Prino

Which one was that?

You can always PM it too.

It's more for interest than anything else. Because there's always a backstory to incidents like this. Could be something small, or something big, but there's always one. :D
When people thought the girl in the tower at las was having a stroke and it turned out she wasn’t.

ryan4sail

Man if only there was a suitable commercial airport nearby...
There's really not. When LAS goes to crap because of WX, you better hope you have enough fuel to go to LAX. If not, you're either landing in Kingman, AZ or Nellis. It can actually be pretty sketchy when LAS starts giving out holding instructions...

Prino

There's really not. When LAS goes to crap because of WX, you better hope you have enough fuel to go to LAX. If not, you're either landing in Kingman, AZ or Nellis. It can actually be pretty sketchy when LAS starts giving out holding instructions...
Ahhh I mean Laughlin is like 60 miles away. Sun country operates out of there from time to time so it’s not like it would be out of the ordinary to go there. Though I can’t say I’ve seen that happen too often.

Sounds like you’ve been one of the lucky few to receive some holding instructions here. The problem with holding in our airspace is that there’s really no good/safe place to hold except at the arrival fixes and the center does that. So yeah we don’t really give holding instructions but 1-2 times a year? You can hold at Boulder vor and usually be out of the way from 9-13 so long as they aren’t doing skydive ops