American Airlines job fair

Autothrust Blue

"Get in, loser. We're going flying."
We're talking about the same guys that are willing to work for regional wages and take the abuse of working at regional airlines for decades (myself included). I can't think of worse treatment in a professional setting outside or working in a kitchen or perhaps a medical residency (which is finite).
While my friend the Stanford-educated doctor stands to print money, eventually, in her career, I'm not sure I'd go through residency to do it.

Makes "EM2 FO" look like a vacation.

Soku39

While my friend the Stanford-educated doctor stands to print money, eventually, in her career, I'm not sure I'd go through residency to do it.

Makes "EM2 FO" look like a vacation.
Well duh, same with my girlfriend, my point is that the suck is 100% guaranteed to end and the juice will be 500% worth the squeeze. While I never expect to print money in aviation, you never know if the suck will end or if it the juice will ever be worth the squeeze.

Autothrust Blue

"Get in, loser. We're going flying."
Well duh, same with my girlfriend, my point is that the suck is 100% guaranteed to end and the juice will be 500% worth the squeeze. While I never expect to print money in aviation, you never know if the suck will end or if it the juice will ever be worth the squeeze.
Got nothin' for you, then, Holmes.

Soku39

Got nothin' for you, then, Holmes.
Ha, apples to oranges my man, just musing on how aviation is different from other careers, in response to the if other companies in other industries recruited like certain companies in aviation, they'd never be able to hire anyone post, that's all!

Last edited:

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Legacy airline captain.

Wasn’t specific to AA. Just a general observation on how those who view themselves above everyone else treat “you”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well that's fine, but I wouldn't let that deter you for a number of reasons. #1 a lot of those types are going to be retiring in the next 5 years or so. #2 most aren't like that. #3 Don't let the few that are stand between you and a nice career.

Sometimes I think with career choices we let some 'confirmation bias' type situations be the tie breaker when they really shouldn't be.

And without responding to every single post of the last 15 minutes, I will 100% acknowledge that being a pilot a major airline is most likely the best six figure career (least stress, most time off, highest work/life balance etc) that I could ever imagine... and that is why I and everyone else play the game on the bottom. Period dot, end of story.

Ive seen what my brother goes through in education, my girlfriend as a physcisian, my parents in finance, friends in tech, engineering etc, flying for a major beats all of it, but sometimes when I'm at the regional you really wonder if you'll make it and if you don't was it all worth it?
Girlfriend a dr? Tie that up, become stay at home dad, roll spliffs while kids in school, profit.

This career has too many "your mileage may vary" outcomes which are primarily driven by luck and timing. The industry is cyclical with its ups and downs, and you can't control when you're born or when you turn [insert age] looking for an airline job. It's going to be feast or famine. The other aspect is the regional feels like the residency phase and you're looking forward to the attending physician/full fledged doctor phase (legacy/major airline), but it isn't just a 4 yr service requirement for many. Some guys through bad luck/timing just can't get a call at a legacy and have spent 12 yrs (or more) stuck at their regional. Started with 9/11, escalated with Age 65, made worse with the 2008 recession.

The job itself is super easy. We have lots of help available, people, machines, automation, etc. Once you make it to a legacy/major it's 100k+ for FOs and 200k+ for CAs. Some 300-400k+ as well. The downside of the job is time away from home, and doubly so because of commuting. Airlines folding means all your hard work, commitment, success go down the drain with your seniority number and now you're on the street looking to start all over again at the bottom of another airline's list. That. Is. Brutal. No other professional job has career mobility drawbacks like airline pilots.

wheelsup

Well obviously no one knows the future.

If I were to guess
  • DL will eventually run AK over and eat into UA's market share on the west coast
  • The ULCC model will expand immensely. I don't know who will end up but both Frontier and Spirit have great business models
  • jetBlue and SWA will continue their growth based on being a value carrier
  • SWA will canabalize AA and UA market share while losing some to the ULCC's
That being said often times it's the stuff you don't see coming that changes everything.

BigZ

Well obviously no one knows the future.

If I were to guess
  • DL will eventually run AK over and eat into UA's market share on the west coast
  • The ULCC model will expand immensely. I don't know who will end up but both Frontier and Spirit have great business models
  • jetBlue and SWA will continue their growth based on being a value carrier
  • SWA will canabalize AA and UA market share while losing some to the ULCC's
That being said often times it's the stuff you don't see coming that changes everything.
You mean like an alien invasion?

PS reasonable assessment btw.