American Airlines job fair

Richman

The regional airlines, and by extension, the majors, have gotten a "free ride" from general aviation in the US for so long, I don't know if they have any other game plan. The system produced very experienced, competent pilots at ZERO cost to them for decades. Compared to the rest of the world, the cost for training in the US for decades was just a rounding error.

GA hyper-inflation, which really started in 1982, but really took off post-9/11, has finally crippled that part of the pipeline. The regionals were well on their way to eating all of their seed corn in 2005-07, and my guess is the 1,500 hour rule saved what little was left in the system.

As the availability of low cost avenues wither or time out, it's certainly not going to improve any.

Try to explain that to anyone that is part of the DC policy making crowd or who THEY take advice from (think lots of Colonels and Generals), and you'll generally get a blank look. What's worse, they don't know what they don't know. I've actually sat and heard people in positions of responsibility talk...I'll just say their concept of reality is poetic....Vogon poetry, that is.

Richman

Upon re-reading the above, I'll add one further thing: The GA side of the equation is just as clueless. They too are so hyper-focused on their little part of the world, they are completely blind to avenues of common interest.

If they were smart, they'd understand that the regional & major airline's economic issue has the same casual factor as the problems they have, and work towards a good, common solution, and piggyback on the airline's political mojo. Having also spoken to some of GA's movers and shakers, their blank looks are the same as the one's I got from the airline/military side. One guy I spoke with....a REALLY smart guy who has done a lot of good work, just couldn't/wouldn't wrap his head around what the issues really were and how they could be addressed, because he'd bought into mantra and the long standing infighting between the two groups.

Cptnchia

Dissatisfied Customer
You're not hiring for the Army of the Qin Dynasty, you're kind of hiring for a drum and bugle corps.

Ehh, that analogy probably only makes sense to about three people.
Wrong Dynasty. Better to reference the late Zhou Dynasty, where the rise of the Wu Emperor was aided by Sun Zhu.

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
The regional airlines, and by extension, the majors, have gotten a "free ride" from general aviation in the US for so long, I don't know if they have any other game plan. The system produced very experienced, competent pilots at ZERO cost to them for decades. Compared to the rest of the world, the cost for training in the US for decades was just a rounding error.
I rather don't like how the system is working now (Oh, you'd better believe there's a plan...perhaps even an okay plan), but part of that is "where the eff was MY reimbursement back in the 'day'?"

This is so absolutely true, though; having individuals largely back their own training, with no real structure or financing options, enabled the RJ boom.

That's the thing, legacy carriers have been able to piss off candidates for 16 years without any consequences, and they don't know how to adjust to the new normal.

My wife does hiring for her department, and says that if she treated interviewees the way airlines do and word got out, she'd never be able to hire anyone again.
I've been saying that on here for as long as I've been a member.

Dugie8

As said to me when I had a simple question on how to answer an application section that was a bit unique for me

“10,000 people can fill out the app with no problems”

Pretty much cemented my desire to stay 91. Ask for help in the 91 world and folks go out of their way to offer assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAPalmTree

As said to me when I had a simple question on how to answer an application section that was a bit unique for me

“10,000 people can fill out the app with no problems”

Pretty much cemented my desire to stay 91. Ask for help in the 91 world and folks go out of their way to offer assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
American told you that recently?

Soku39

That's the thing, legacy carriers have been able to piss off candidates for 16 years without any consequences, and they don't know how to adjust to the new normal.

My wife does hiring for her department, and says that if she treated interviewees the way airlines do and word got out, she'd never be able to hire anyone again.
I've been saying that on here for as long as I've been a member.
We're talking about the same guys that are willing to work for regional wages and take the abuse of working at regional airlines for decades (myself included). I can't think of worse treatment in a professional setting outside or working in a kitchen or perhaps a medical residency (which is finite).