American Airlines: Gone within 18 months??

• Thread starter Deleted member 27505
  • Start date

American Airlines dead by Jan-2021??

• Agree?

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • Disagree?

Votes: 93 74.4%
  • I don't give an ass. The aviation industry is a joke.

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • I agree, but only because the freaking world will end by J-21?

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

JEP

Malko In Charge
Staff member
same subject, similar question framed differently.... Do people think that all current non-regional carriers will make it out of the current situation ?

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
Yes, but not without mergers.

Question is who merges with who.
As goofy as it may sound, I personally wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get in bed with you guys and reestablish their former New York foothold/strengthen their transcon market. Other than the 737-800 and Dreamliners, the rest of the Boeings are more or less going bye bye anyway. The ULCCs will probably have demand pick up long before the business travel reliant majors will, so it is the majors and the LCCs that I think will be looking to merge this time around and not Allegiant, Frontier, Sun Country, Spirit, ect. Time will tell.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Personally I think you’ll see a LCC combination to make a super LCC. Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant. Alaska/jetBlue/Hawaiian get absorbed by big 4.

That's my useless prediction. :)

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
Inshallah!
نعم يا صديقي ، يجب أن نأمل جميعًا في أن نكون الخروف القرباني لإخواننا الموروثين ، تمامًا مثل الطيارين القاريين الذين تم وضعهم خلف طيارين متوحدين في اندماجهم. إن شاء الله!

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
Every airline will be short on cash next year if things haven't started to pick up. Not many will be able to absorb the AA fleet, routes, or hubs. The job losses would be difficult for politicians to accept. You would see ORD/PHX/DFW/CLT politicians demanding bailouts or financing to save jobs. The same would be true for WN/UA/DL.

The small to mid sized markets with little to no LCC presence will drive another bailout for DL/UA/AA before they would go out of business. Without one of the big three network carriers with regional carriers, many smaller markets would be left with no network carrier, a monopoly or duopoly.

AA has a big DCA operation. Everyone will want big market DCA slots but only DL and UA could really fly to smaller markets that need an RJ. UA has hub nearby at IAD and DL can only put so many RJs in the market before sacrificing regional service in other focus cities/hubs. I doubt the politicians will want their flights home to be eliminated or made more expensive by overall loss of competition in smaller markets. No doubt UA/DL would jack up prices to regional markets if AA wasn't around. So I expect a bailout before that would happen.

jtrain609

Uniting the black vote.
Every airline will be short on cash next year if things haven't started to pick up. Not many will be able to absorb the AA fleet, routes, or hubs. The job losses would be difficult for politicians to accept. You would see ORD/PHX/DFW/CLT politicians demanding bailouts or financing to save jobs. The same would be true for WN/UA/DL.

The small to mid sized markets with little to no LCC presence will drive another bailout for DL/UA/AA before they would go out of business. Without one of the big three network carriers with regional carriers, many smaller markets would be left with no network carrier, a monopoly or duopoly.

AA has a big DCA operation. Everyone will want big market DCA slots but only DL and UA could really fly to smaller markets that need an RJ. UA has hub nearby at IAD and DL can only put so many RJs in the market before sacrificing regional service in other focus cities/hubs. I doubt the politicians will want their flights home to be eliminated or made more expensive by overall loss of competition in smaller markets. No doubt UA/DL would jack up prices to regional markets if AA wasn't around. So I expect a bailout before that would happen.
If only there were an LCC that operated their own RJ's and already had a DCA presence.

If only.

denverpilot

Reuters has an article saying AA might utilize their loyalty program as collateral for new debt.

LOL. I can’t link it. I could barely read it I was facepalming so hard. You go find it. LOL

Certainly... creative.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Reuters has an article saying AA might utilize their loyalty program as collateral for new debt.

LOL. I can’t link it. I could barely read it I was facepalming so hard. You go find it. LOL

Certainly... creative.

"Impact value $18 billion to $30 billion" :rolleyes: