American Airlines flight attendant showed up to work with BAC four times the legal limit

Oxman

From the pub to work...

An American Airlines flight attendant who showed up for work reeking of booze was found to be more than four times the legal limit, a report says.

Cynthia Struble, 64, appeared intoxicated when she was stopped by security in December at London’s Heathrow Airport before a flight to her hometown of Dallas, Texas, the Birmingham Live reported.

The security officer initially told the flight attendant to step aside because her bag was rejected during X-ray screening.

“I started to engage in conversation with her, and as she was talking, I could smell alcohol strongly,” security officer Angela Klaire wrote in a statement read in Uxbridge Court on Tuesday.

Klaire said she asked Struble to sit down while she called her manager, but the flight attendant continued to head to the gate for her 9:30 a.m. flight.

Another security officer was then dispatched to stop Struble from boarding. She was brought to a local police station and submitted to a blood-alcohol test, according to The Independent.

The toxicology report found that she was more than four times the legal limit allowed in the UK for flight crews.

Struble’s lawyer argued that she never tried to perform any of her flight-attendant duties at the time, only entering the gate of the plane.

obx

But what is the legal limit in the UK for a flight attendant? Not condoning this AT ALL, but we in the US hear “four times the legal limit” and we think of the legal limit as .08 for driving. Or the FAA legal limit of .04. Pretty sure that the legal limit for flight crews in the UK is anything above .00.

Again, NOT CONDONING. Just pointing out that what may have been around a .04 BAC is rather insidious and may have been a rough night out as opposed to slamming a bottle of Pinot before the pickup.

She deserves punishment, but I also hope she gets help.

Stone Cold

But what is the legal limit in the UK for a flight attendant? Not condoning this AT ALL, but we in the US hear “four times the legal limit” and we think of the legal limit as .08 for driving. Or the FAA legal limit of .04. Pretty sure that the legal limit for flight crews in the UK is anything above .00.

Again, NOT CONDONING. Just pointing out that what may have been around a .04 BAC is rather insidious and may have been a rough night out as opposed to slamming a bottle of Pinot before the pickup.

No reason to waste a good Pinot. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Cory Trevor

4 times 0.0 is 0

Box hauler

I apparently lack the “wine and liquor” gene, because, to me, wine tastes like Easter egg dye, and most liquor tastes like turpentine, with the exception of Vodka, which tastes like rubbing alcohol.
Put some black rum in a cup with pineapple juice as you plant your butt on a tropical beach. The flavor will start making much more sense.

tlove482

I apparently lack the “wine and liquor” gene, because, to me, wine tastes like Easter egg dye, and most liquor tastes like turpentine, with the exception of Vodka, which tastes like rubbing alcohol.
Same here! I can't tell you how many times someone has handed me a fruity drink and said "you can't even taste the alcohol". If you hate the taste of something, you can't disguise it. It's like putting powder on when you're funky. You just smell like powder and funk now.

trafficinsight

I'm with you on wine.

Not interested in your liar's grape juice!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk