Allegiant posting soon

Doolittle

I take it you havent seen Spirit’s new contract eh? They got just a notch below SWA’s pay, more days off, and from everything Ive heard and read, they are a much better company to work for.

Also, something I personally didn't take into account when I chose AAY over Spirit...that 3 hour time difference SUCKS BALLS when you are a junior employee.
Spirit is nowhere close to SWA pay. Their hourly rate is salaried based on 1825 hours per year. So $48k start. $116k top out. Chump change at SWA.

DispatchDan

I would consider being salaried vs hourly uncommon in a union dominated non-management position.

Maybe I’m just confused...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I little bit confusing... while it is salary based, it’s for the specific amount of hours per year, but you still get paid OT for any extra hours your work at all these shops so it’s not completely salary based like in some other positions where it doesn’t matter how many (or how few) hours you work per week, you always have a set salary.
Compared to a truly “salary based” jobs out there, non of the dispatch shops (at least not at the common airlines) are actually salary based... it’s all negotiated on a yearly salary base for a specific amount of yearly hours you have to work, and that’s how they figure out your weekly or bi-weekly paychecks ( since working random schedules you could work different hours each week )... but unlike “salary based”, if you work more then scheduled or pick up an extra day, it is OT and they will pay you for working any additional hours.

van12

Who's in Atlanta? SWA is Dallas and Spirit is in Miramar, unless you know something we don't.
My mistake, I was thinking of Delta. If you wanted to live in the west coast and work for a major, then you're out of luck then. I guess I can fly out every month.

How many vacation days do the majors give?

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
My mistake, I was thinking of Delta. If you wanted to live in the west coast and work for a major, then you're out of luck then. I guess I can fly out every month.

How many vacation days do the majors give?
Most majors start at around two weeks of vacation a year. I have coworkers here for a long time that have six weeks a year. Of course, you get a lot of extra days off or can do shift trades to take shorter trips.

As far as the west coast goes, don't overlook Alaska. They pay quite well and are based in Seattle. I believe Boeing also has some dispatchers based there. If you're starting out, Horizon, Alaska's regional, is also based in Seattle, I believe (they are owned by the parent company of Alaska.) Another option is Hawaiian, if living in HNL sounds intriguing to you - they have a lot of flights to the west coast. And of course, Allegiant, the original topic of this thread, is based in Las Vegas, only about five hours drive from Los Angeles (a drive I made many times when I lived there.)

QXDX

Most majors start at around two weeks of vacation a year. I have coworkers here for a long time that have six weeks a year. Of course, you get a lot of extra days off or can do shift trades to take shorter trips.

As far as the west coast goes, don't overlook Alaska. They pay quite well and are based in Seattle. I believe Boeing also has some dispatchers based there. If you're starting out, Horizon, Alaska's regional, is also based in Seattle, I believe (they are owned by the parent company of Alaska.) Another option is Hawaiian, if living in HNL sounds intriguing to you - they have a lot of flights to the west coast. And of course, Allegiant, the original topic of this thread, is based in Las Vegas, only about five hours drive from Los Angeles (a drive I made many times when I lived there.)
Alaska's wage is competitive with the other majors. But given the cost of living in Seattle, I wouldn't characterize them as paying "well." Not when a 3 bedroom, 2 bath starter home costs $450K (or more). I honestly don't know how my Horizon friends make it work.

who'swho

Don't hesitate. Penetrate!
Alaska's wage is competitive with the other majors. But given the cost of living in Seattle, I wouldn't characterize them as paying "well." Not when a 3 bedroom, 2 bath starter home costs $450K (or more). I honestly don't know how my Horizon friends make it work.
Isn't housing in the Tacoma area more affordable? I know very little about the area.

QXDX

Isn't housing in the Tacoma area more affordable? I know very little about the area.
Yes, generally speaking, houses are less expensive. $350k vs. $450k. But now you've got an hour commute. And the prices keep going up. For the life of me I can't figure out what the appeal to Seattle is, but everyone seems to want to go there.