Allegiant 60 Minutes Investigation

SeanD

Funny how that didn’t tell me anything I didn’t already know.
The general public certainly doesnt know and I never heard about the aborted take off in Vegas. There is no way I would ever put my family on one of their airplanes anyway but this should be confirmation that there is something seriously wrong there.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Ehhhh, I think Allegiant is turning a lot of things around. Simplifying their fleet and taking new deliveries as well. Sometimes I feel the media wants to fear monger the public with ULCC's.

SFLAX

Ehhhh, I think Allegiant is turning a lot of things around. Simplifying their fleet and taking new deliveries as well. Sometimes I feel the media wants to fear monger the public with ULCC's.
Turing things around...it’s hard to change managements culture without a change in management. I find it funny that the CEO of valujet is not in prison and some guy is wanted by the FBI. Taking new delivery’s, so...how does that change the managements attitude towards things.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Turing things around...it’s hard to change managements culture without a change in management. I find it funny that the CEO of valujet is not in prison and some guy is wanted by the FBI. Taking new delivery’s, so...how does that change the managements attitude towards things.
Well most of this article was about the terrible maintenance records and aging fleet, which is being addressed. I didn't make a comment about their management.

Richman

Be careful...when you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you.

Not sayin' anything, just sayin'. The nerf bat comes for us all at some point....

mshunter

The worst part about this, there are guys on this forum that every time a story comes up about Allegiant, they say "It's not that bad."

Uh, it sure seems like it is, and the data supports it.

SeanD

No they aren't. They are having issues with their new airplanes too. It's a toxic safety culture and something tragic is going to happen if it doesn't change asap and the FAA are enablers.

The general population is stupid, $88 bucks, I’ll buy that, then complain that it caught on fire. Shut up...morons.
What does this air fare have to do with an airplane catching on fire? Are you really implying that if you are paying $88 for an airfare, that's it's okay to have to put up with engine fires? I've bought tickets on United and Delta cheaper than $88 (basic economy type) and didn't experience those issues. For that matter this is the United States of America, not some podunk 3rd world country in Asia or Africa. We expect a certain standard of safety at our airlines. Allegiant seems to have a rash of repeated incidents, and as we know from history, can lead to a full-out fatal accident. One or two failures here and there is one thing, but Allegiant had a whole bunch of them in a very short time frame for a carrier its size.

Don't blame the flying public, this is all on Allegiant, its management, and their practices.

SeanD

I dont buy into that "they're just old airplanes" crap. This company is basically fixing these airplanes with duct tape and putting them back up on revenue flights until they can route them back to their main mx operation for a "proper" repair and a safe environment to "log" those proper repairs.

SFLAX

What does this air fare have to do with an airplane catching on fire? Are you really implying that if you are paying $88 for an airfare, that's it's okay to have to put up with engine fires? I've bought tickets on United and Delta cheaper than $88 (basic economy type) and didn't experience those issues. For that matter this is the United States of America, not some podunk 3rd world country in Asia or Africa. We expect a certain standard of safety at our airlines. Allegiant seems to have a rash of repeated incidents, and as we know from history, can lead to a full-out fatal accident. One or two failures here and there is one thing, but Allegiant had a whole bunch of them in a very short time frame for a carrier its size.

Don't blame the flying public, this is all on Allegiant, its management, and their practices.
You think the main carriers sell tickets for $88 all day everyday, no. That is some one off ticket. If you sell a product for less then it costs to operate that seat safely and you as a consumer think that $88 bucks to fly a 1000 miles is exactly what it should cost, go for it. You get what you pay for...a bad MX record. People don’t look at it like we do or people that actually sit down to think, it’s cheaper to fly then take a car...you get bad MX and bad situations will occur. You will eventually get bad crews making poor decisions as the good ones go other places. I agree, it’s all on management, but what do they have to loss? Nothing...the CEO was the CEO of valujet. People were charged at that place...he was not. So it is the consumers, who will choose if allegiant is in business. As it seems the FAA is not standing in the way.

You think the main carriers sell tickets for $88 all day everyday, no. That is some one off ticket. If you sell a product for less then it costs to operate that seat safely and you as a consumer think that $88 bucks to fly a 1000 miles is exactly what it should cost, go for it. You get what you pay for...a bad MX record. People don’t look at it like we do or people that actually sit down to think, it’s cheaper to fly then take a car...you get bad MX and bad situations will occur. You will eventually get bad crews making poor decisions as the good ones go other places. I agree, it’s all on management, but what do they have to loss? Nothing...the CEO was the CEO of valujet. People were charged at that place...he was not. So it is the consumers, who will choose if allegiant is in business. As it seems the FAA is not standing in the way.
That's not how it works, and you know it. Extremely rarely is the plane full of $88 tickets. Ticket pricing is highly dynamic. I bought a ticket on a Frontier flight one way for $29. The day before departure it was over $300 if someone wanted a last second seat. If every flight sold by Allegiant was less than what it cost to operate, they wouldn't make money and be in business. The entire plane is never full of just 29 dollar ticket seats.

And I disagree with your assessment about "the people." Most people are clueless about airplanes and airlines. The assume (and rightfully so) that their carrier is safe and has been vetted by the FAA and follows all expected maintenance and FAA inspections. Just as I assume the doctor I'm seeing and about to cut me up has gone through a credited medical school, holds all appropriate state licensure, has good knowledge, decent skill, and legally approved to do what he is about to do. How many people ramp check their doctor?

"As it seems the FAA is not standing in the way..."

Did you see the video? That FAA guy looked like a complete snake, dodging every question. It's extremely troubling (and telling) that Allegiant refused to have their records go out via a freedom of information act while every other airline requested complied. Only after this report the FAA forced their hand and the records went out to 60 minutes.