Alcohol Question

Working with the FAA currently, submitting ongoing requests for medical information in an attempt to get my third class.

The only mention of alcohol use was from a recent office visit where I answered daily usage of 1-2 drinks on average.

The FAA is now requesting a “personal statement of past, present, and future usage of alcohol”. Any thoughts or guidance on this would be appreciated.

MidlifeFlyer

I did. He replied but is too busy to take on any cases. I’d rather not pay someone until, and if, I get a denial.
That's usually a mistake.

There have been numerous pilots who have been through the revolving door of FAA inquiry where you send them what they want, then they decide they want something else, then when you give them the something else, the first thing you sent them timed out and you have to do that again, after which...

ongoing requests for medical information
Apparently you are already there...

You may get that "personal statement" right on your own, but, without knowing you, I can only say that the likelihood is just as good that you get it wrong and dig a hole.

Seeing a consulting senior AME at the beginning has a goal - finding our what the FAA really wants to see, arranging to obtain it all, and then sending the package to the FAA in a way which is organized to present it in a way to maximize the likelihood of a good result and minimize a bad one.

Flag8r,

How did the FAA come into possession of the record from your office visit with your personal physician?

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated AME
https://www.kansascityame.com
An absolutely perfect question.

This is more for the group than the OP, but this is exactly what I was talking about in another post. You don't have to get a DUI, have liver failure, or walk in telling your AME you polish off a six pack a night to end up with an FAA alcohol situation.

Another Medical Deferral question... Alcohol

OP, if you choose to handle this without professional guidance from a senior/HIMS AME tread very carefully with the content and wording of your personal statement. You've already effectively admitted to drinking at a level considered unhealthy by most medical professionals. The general medical consensus is more that 15 drinks in a week and you're in the "heavy drinking" category. The FAA uses standards that are more stringent than the generally accepted medical community when it comes to alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence.