Alaska jumpseat

DE727UPS

I checked with a friend who is a Capt at Alaska. He said jumpseaters with a pre-assigned seat in the back still have to speak with the Captain. Maybe he didn't get the memo. Any Alaska guys on here have documentation on this so I can pass it on to my jumpseat coordinator?

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
FWIW when I’ve gone on AS as a cabin jumpseater the captains have seemed surprised but pleased when I check with them. I don’t know if it’s because 135 scum or not.

ShortField

No one of consequence
I checked with a friend who is a Capt at Alaska. He said jumpseaters with a pre-assigned seat in the back still have to speak with the Captain. Maybe he didn't get the memo. Any Alaska guys on here have documentation on this so I can pass it on to my jumpseat coordinator?
It’s in our FOM that Jumpseaters that get a seat in the back are not required to stop by and say hello. I’d say about half still do and I’ve yet to see a captain that didn’t appreciate it and seem genuinely interested in talking to other pilots. I know I enjoy hearing what everyone is up to.

I left my iPad on the plane today (naturally), so I shamelessly stole this from @Cherokee_Cruiser in another thread.

NOTE: Flight Deck jumpseat riders who have been given a cabin seat assignment need not check in with the Captain. This policy reduces Flight Deck distractions and congestion.

DE727UPS

Thanks for the info. Unless I see chapter and verse I won't spread the word. I like it. But it's not the norm so my jumpseat guy isn't going to buy off on it unless I have some pretty compelling evidence.

I'm a Gold 75K now and hardly ever jumpseat. I'd rather buy a cheap ticket and get the upgrade. But I used to really depend on the AS jumpseats at one time. Really appreciate all the help over the years.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I’ll PM you the section.

And no offense to your friend but legacy AS guys aren’t exactly known to peruse documents, especially the CBA. The legacy guys for a while were also notorious for taking just 1 jumper instead of 2. One guy (who’s gone now) refused to take any. When most drive to work, I’m not surprised people aren’t versed on their own JS procedures.

Last edited:

Cherokee_Cruiser

I’d also say pilots being pilots, there are many guys who don’t accept this “NOTE:” in the FOM and want jumpseaters to check in even if assigned a seat in the back. I also highly doubt many gate agents are aware of this note.

DE727UPS

I'm confused. Are you saying some Capts decide they want jumpseaters to check in and this note like appears on the paperwork that the gate agent doesn't read? Sorry, I'm easily confused....

Inverted

The journey is the meat in the goal sandwich
It is super nice to have somebody pop in and say hello just so we know you are back there. I extend that courtesy anytime I list.

Cherokee_Cruiser

I'm confused. Are you saying some Capts decide they want jumpseaters to check in and this note like appears on the paperwork that the gate agent doesn't read? Sorry, I'm easily confused....

I’m not sure how well aware the gate agents are to what’s in the FOM regarding jumpseating. And some pilots too to for that matter.

Officially, even though it’s written this way in the manual, I’m not sure I’d spread the word through a JS committee that we don’t require a check in to CA if you get a seat in the back - even though it’s officially written this way in the FOM.

Most nearly all pilots seem to check in with me even when they have a seat in the back. I don’t mind, it’s nice to drop by and to know who’s back there.