1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airlines and National Guard Drills

Discussion in 'Military Pilots' started by MikeFavinger, Apr 21, 2017 at 04:38.

1. MikeFavinger

MikeFavinger Well-Known Member

How do airlines handle National Guard commitments like monthly drills or annual training? Are you able to simply bid around those days? What sort of documentation do they typically require?

Many thanks.

@Nark - Because I know you've done it.

2. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

USERRA doesn't require companies to ask for orders for days (orders) less than 30 days. For drills and AFTP' s I fill out the requisite LOA company form.
    I had my commander sign a memo stating what AFTP s are, vice MUTA's.

The two companies I've worked for did require a link and a perusal through USERRact.

As for scheduling around drill. Not very easy. My unit, we typically schedule the follow on month during drill weekend, which of course is a week prior to civilian bid period.

As I become more senior I can make things work a little better, however I still have to drop a few trips to accommodate AFTP's.

@WaterRooster .....

3. MikeFavinger

Thanks. When you say your unit schedules the next month during drill I hope to god you mean weekly AFTPs and not when the next monthly drill is! You get your drill schedule a year out, right?

I'm not terribly worried about the AFTPs - thinking I can just plan them for my normally scheduled off days.

4. Nark

Nark Well-Known Member

AFTP's. Drill days a month out would be insane. Is that even allowed?
    Generally....
    Our drill dates are set a year out.

MikeFavinger likes this.
  5. Finny

Finny Well-Known Member

At 9E you email your base manager your drill dates and they block them off your schedule. For reserve, you can incorporate them into your 11 days off and not have a pay cut, or do your 11 days off plus drill and take a 3.5 hour pay cut of guarantee per day missed. As a line holder it doesn't really matter because you're going to credit over 75 hours anyways.

Even if something pops up last minute, they're great about getting you off your trip and getting home. I perform Military Funeral Honors, which doesn't have a lot of heads up time, and they've gotten me home no problem no questions asked. It just took a conversation when I did my base tour about how those situations pop up and the best way to deal with them.

Big thing is to try to work with them and get your days in before the bid closes. That makes life easier for everyone. If you have any other questions let me know.

6. MikeFavinger

Great information - thank you!

7. MikeD

MikeD Administrator Staff Member

I thought you're done with the Army? Or about to be?

8. WaterRooster

WaterRooster Well-Known Member

At Skywest, I just fill out a Military LOA with no questions asked. AFTPs are a little tricky as I try to bid around them, but I end up having to trade or drop trips to make them work on random week days. I try to bunch them around drill as it's easier to take 4 mil days (AFTPs Thursday-Friday, Drill Saturday-Sunday) then a bunch of random ones throughout the month.

MikeFavinger likes this.
  9. MikeFavinger

With the full time side, yes. Will still be m-day at least until the end of my command.

10. crticalaoa

crticalaoa Well-Known Member

So wait if you are on mil orders you still don't get your guaranteed per month?