Airlines already violating the CARES act?

ATLiens

Yes u can.. it’s called logic.
You talk about corporations as if they are some vague entity.. Corporations are run by people for people (usually share holders). I know you would love for CEO’s to answer to you but they answer to their board and shareholders.. No different than u answering to your boss!
That being said... your faith in government regulations is mind blowing. Not sure what you are smoking but you can keep it! Stop watching AOC YouTube videos.
This sounds like something you may want to discuss with your therapist:

Corporate Stockholm Syndrome can be defined as employees of a business beginning to identify with—and being deeply loyal to—an employer who mistreats them (defined in this situation as verbal abuse, demanding overly long hours, and generally ignoring the wellbeing and emotional needs of the employee). As with the captor/captive dynamic, the employer is certainly in control of the employee’s fate (they sign the much-needed paycheck and generally can terminate employment at any time).

The employee experiencing Corporate Stockholm Syndrome typically displays a tendency to become emotionally attached to the company to the detriment of their own emotional health. The employee will also rationalize to themselves and to others the employer’s poor treatment of them as necessary for the good of the organization as a whole, and angrily defend the employer’s actions when those actions are questioned by an outsider. In other words, denial of the obvious.

dx8709

Ok but for the sake of argument lets say hes not banned from the industry and instead of 80 hes 40. How would he deal with corona?
Since we're all speaking in hypotheticals...he'd probably start a new airline called Big Texas Air and then transfer the operating certificates over like he and Neal Meehan did with New York Air. Once the unions had been busted, he could get down to what passengers REALLY want--free coffee and danish and hot flight attendants on all flights.

KiloEchoVictor

I’m going to end this now before we got APC in here, but to think a CEO is going to care more about you, me or the customer than the bottom line is absurd. There is only so much I will say publicly on a forum like this, but there is a cost benefit to everything, and EVERYTHING has a price tag on it, whether we want it to or not.

You don’t think some airline somewhere isn’t going to remove the 45 minute reserve if it wasn’t required? You don’t think an airline somewhere would cram seats on endlessly without regulation over evacuations? You don’t think letting the dispatcher and PIC make the decision about diversions, fuel, route, etc without regard to cost is a good idea? Those are all government requirements, my friend. Not to mention dispatchers are a requirement. I’m sure many regionals would furlough indefinitely the vast majority of their dispatchers if operational control was not a legal requirement.

Let’s keep the political punches out of here, ok?
It's often said that many of the regulations are written in blood, and they literally are. Many safety regulations were created to guard against oversights and procedural failures that cost people's lives. There's a reason the US sector has so few fatal disasters in the last few decades, it's because the rules have gotten much stricter in the last few decades. If you give a business breathing room to cut corners (and thereby save costs) they will do it.

QXDX

Speaking of Lorenzo here’s a question for you all. If Lorenzo was allowed to own another airline and he bought one of the big 3 or a smaller ULCC would he fly it into the ground like he did with Eastern?
That's like saying that someone who is asthmatic and diabetic was fine until he got Covid 19.

Eastern had plenty of problems before Lorenzo took over.

SlumTodd_Millionaire

Evil Landlord Capitalist
That's like saying that someone who is asthmatic and diabetic was fine until he got Covid 19.

Eastern had plenty of problems before Lorenzo took over.
While true, EAL wasn’t unsalvageable prior to Lorenzo. Once he came along and started doing things like selling System One and then leasing it back to EAL at an inflated rate, it was all over. He never intended to do anything other than strip EAL of its assets and then burn what remained to the ground.

dx8709

Eastern couldn't even turn a profit under the regulated fare structure. When Frank Borman became President in 1975, the company hadn't made a profit since 1959. He had a good couple of years but de-regulation doomed them. I am shocked they lasted as long as they did after 1978.

A-9er

Not shocking. Corporation and it's greed always wins. The airlines always write the bill. See how this works now? :bounce:
Not to mention that big corps also pay the bribes, er "campaign contributions"! The politicos listen to their donor$, not their constituents.

A-9er

You talk about corporations as if they are some vague entity.. Corporations are run by people for people (usually share holders). I know you would love for CEO’s to answer to you but they answer to their board and shareholders.. No different than u answering to your boss!
That being said... your faith in government regulations is mind blowing. Not sure what you are smoking but you can keep it! Stop watching AOC YouTube videos.
Gov't could screw up a wet dream!

av8or757

Jeff Smisek says LOL. You really think executives care about you and would pay us the money we ask for out of the GOODNESS of their heart ? You must be new in this business.