Airline Apps and Aircraft types

Flyinhigh728

Hey guys,

I’m filling out Airlineapps for my first regional interview. I’m a current CFI. Regarding the aircraft types, do I need to add every single type I’ve flown? Can I just add a generic single engine entry? It’s been a little confusing entering all of my times. Thanks!

BigZ

I did ASEL as one entry, light twins as one entry, then turboprop/jet by type. Worked fine.

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
I did ASEL as one entry, light twins as one entry, then turboprop/jet by type. Worked fine.
I don't think regionals are terribly picky these days on such things, but it might not hurt to still list C172, PA28, PA44 etc. I wouldn't differentiate between C172S, C172N and so on but to me ASEL/AMEL is a bit too laid back IMO. As a CFI you probably don't have that many types at this point right? Plus if you list it out now, it'll be done and you'll have the numbers for the next step.

BigZ

I don't think regionals are terribly picky these days on such things, but it might not hurt to still list C172, PA28, PA44 etc. I wouldn't differentiate between C172S, C172N and so on but to me ASEL/AMEL is a bit too laid back IMO. As a CFI you probably don't have that many types at this point right? Plus if you list it out now, it'll be done and you'll have the numbers for the next step.
Quick glance at the electronic logbook says just over two dozen different ASEL make/models. Pretty sure airlines don't care how many hrs I have in a Luscombe vs Piper Arrow vs Lancair Legacy, but then I'm not the one hiring.

Flyinthrew

Hey guys,

I’m filling out Airlineapps for my first regional interview. I’m a current CFI. Regarding the aircraft types, do I need to add every single type I’ve flown? Can I just add a generic single engine entry? It’s been a little confusing entering all of my times. Thanks!
I know this probably isn't what you're asking, but if airlineapps is actually asking you to enter time using the word type of aircraft rather than 'category and class' or 'make and model', then that actually has a specific meaning.

bike21

9-5 Ruins Lives
but then I'm not the one hiring.
Me neither, but if I'm looking at someone's app and they appear to have not followed directions or have shown minimal effort that could adversely affect a decision. Back when I used to hire folks (in a more competitive environment) the little things did add up FWIW.

Like you mentioned, it worked for you and this seems like splitting hairs but as @Flyinthrew mentions I'd fill out exactly what the app asks for. No harm in putting in the effort IMO.

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
If you’re doing airlineapps, here is an excerpt from the instructions:

IMPORTANT: You are NOT required to list every individual MAKE/MODEL of aircraft flown. For example, you may choose to create a Model named “C152/C172/C182” with the Description defined as “Single Eng Cessna”. What is important is to appropriately categorize and have accurate totals of ALL of your flight time by aircraft category: (i.e CLASS/CAT/ENG/PROPULSION/GEAR/WEIGHT). You may create a “Misc” model and “Misc singles” description for cumulative totals of various aircraft with low pilot operating experience (i.e. 1 hour PIC in a Piper Cub + 1.5 in a PITTS, etc). As a general rule, if you have 25 hours or more in a particular model, list it individually. It is also recommended to list complex, multi-eng aircraft individually.
IMPORTANT: Regarding ANY TURBINE aircraft experience, it is recommended to individually list experience in each individual make/model regardless of total experience. If you have 0.5 SIC in a C550 Citation, add it as a separate aircraft. When reviewing application data, airline employers will be sorting and focusing on turbine experience, as well as complex multi-engine experience. You may wish, however, to include the details of every aircraft flown.

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
Don’t they have guidance on this topic? I thought when I filled it out they had some examples of what was and was not correct. I think I bundled all my single-engine Cessna time together, and all my PA32 family time. IIRC they do want you to break out retract and tailwheel tho.

Edit: @MikeFavinger beat me to it. And did it better.

Flyinhigh728

Thanks for the replies. The directions were a little confusing due to that excerpt that was posted above. It sounds like the more detailed it is, the better. I will just enter every aircraft type then.

MikeFavinger

Hubschrauber Flieger
Well, turns out I was wrong, at least for when filling out the application for Delta.

I just participated in the @Aero Crew Solutions virtual job fair and listened to Capt. Holmes' presentation for Delta. He specifically said don't group airplane types together and to break out each one.

Last edited: