1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aircraft swap

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by A1TAPE, Jul 16, 2017.

1. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

Im considering doing Sheffield next year and im wondering when they are going to change from the 727 to the 737. I know the written has mostly 727 stuff but it has some 737 stuff sprinkled in so it might be why they still do the 27 instead of the 37.

2. DispatcherSam

DispatcherSam NOTAMed OTS

Dude, take some deep breaths and relax. You're gonna burn yourself out before you even become qualified.

MAK49, dispatchguy, Luigi and 5 others like this.
  3. manniax

manniax Well-met in the Ka-tet

I know that Sheffield liked using the 727 because it has a lot of interesting MEL items that are legal, but affect how you plan flights for it. That being said, nobody flies the 727 any more commercially, so they may be switching to the 737 to have a more modern curriculum. All this being said...the type of plane isn't that you study in dispatch school isn't that important. Understand the process behind flight planning, deferrals, etc. is much more important and you will learn that no matter what commercial aircraft you study...whether that is a CRJ or 747.

4. ak_mavic

ak_mavic Well-Known Member

I did the 727, BE1900 and C208's when I was going through it. My professors stressed to my classmates over and over that the principals of flight planning is the same no matter the kind of aircraft. All I'm sending out now are turboprops but I don't think I would have benefited anymore if the curriculum was purely around turboprops, 727s or 737s.

5. nyk

nyk Well-Known Member

I was told by someone thats been teaching a course for over 20 years now that the 727 systems is simplier than any modern aircraft today. Thats why they still use it.

6. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

really? even simpler than the 737?

7. F9DXER

F9DXER Well-Known Member

What was really funny, is all the question on my written test were about the 747.

8. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

wow yea im going thru sheppard and most of the questions are on 727 and 737 stuff

9. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

Tape, if you paid a deposit to Sheffield, you'll have access to their study materials. Use their study materials; they're quite good, and they cover what you need to know-both for the ADX and class.

10. Kev

Kev RNP 2112

[​IMG]

11. TCAS

TCAS Active Member

As a Sheffield graduate, you can audit any class you'd like for free, as long as there is an open seat. This includes any workshop you elect to take. Get your cert on the 727 curriculum, if it really interests you, go back when they roll out the new curriculum and brush up with the 737. The adx had a few airframes on it when I took it.

Writing a new curriculum and getting FAA approval takes time and money. I wouldn't expect them to change over too quickly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

12. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

The instructor who gave me my practical said that they were switching over to the 737 next year because: 1) the 727 is out of service; and 2) the 737 is still IN service.

13. Luigi

Luigi Well-Known Member

Seconded

14. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

Well my ADX written is is 2 weeks so...

15. Luigi

Luigi Well-Known Member

It'll be ok, I promise. Take your practice tests...do them over and over again. Don't worry about knowing every detail, or understanding how it applies in a real life situation. Just memorize and pass then worry about your practical.

16. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

Im doing Shepp so all im doing is memorizing. Actually doing pretty good at it. I found the more insane or detailed the reg the easier the answer is to remember. Also for the PAX count vs seat count regs I always remember to IGNORE the pax count as it would be hell if the airlines had to staff crews and equipment based on pax counts than on seats on the aircraft. It would be like OK folks we need 2 volunteers to get OFF the plane or we will have to have 2 more FAs onboard to work this flight. It would be a living nightmare for 121 crew scheduling.

17. flik221

flik221 Well-Known Member

We need two passengers volunteer to not be served anything this flight. Sorry, no strange cookies or pretzels, or your sprite with no ice. :(

18. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

But you cant act like they are not there if they are listed on the manifest. So we will need the 2 extra FAs.

19. A1TAPE

A1TAPE Active Member

Hey lady why does my ticket cost extra? Well the cost of paying those 2 extra FAs on your flight is reflected in the cost of your ticket. Now if you booked your ticket earlier then you would WOULDNT have that cost increase but because we now need the extra crewmembers we have decided to past the cost of paying them onto you. The customer.

20. flik221

flik221 Well-Known Member

I get it though. I know FAs work friggin hard and hopefully never have to do what their true purpose is which is to organize emergency situations. ...with that said i think FAs are awesome.