Air National Guard

falcon1

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, so i guess i should introduce myself first
I am 17 years old, and i have just finished up my private pilot training, and got my license in October. I hope to fly with either the majors, or one of the fractional ownership ones (such as NetJets, etc..)...i havent decided which would be best for me yet. I am also going to apply for an ANG pilot slot starting my senior year of college (I am a senior in high school now). I have read a lot about the ANG both on these boards, and other sources, but i have not been able to get one good explanation of how everything works. I was hoping that someone here could explain all of these things (such as the application process, requirements, training, dutys, etc...). I do know a pilot of an F-16 located at KSYR with the 174th, which is what i want to fly (also where i want to fly). Thank you so much for your suggestions, comments, and thoughts!

Hootie

Old Skool
Right now, the best thing you can do is enlist with them, and start kissing @ss while working your own @ss off. Get good grades in college, and a ppl. Then when you graduate you'll have your college, ppl, and 4 years of service to that unit.
If you have done good those 4 years, you'll get a slot. If you jack up and they don't like you, then nothing is going to help you. Join and make yourself.

falcon1

Thanks for the reply! I am not sure how i would do that because i am going to be going to college in Ohio, but the unit i would like is in New York. I dont think there is any way around that, is there? Also, when would i enlist, and how would i go about doing that? If i was accepted, what would that entail (what kind of training, after training, etc...). I am still a bit confused on how it all works..lol!
Thanks again!!