• Guest! Follow new job postings on Twitter and Facebook

AeroGuard hiring CFIs

dreamwalker1

Kryan11, do you know the starting salary that Aeroguard is offering. I’m looking at moving to Phoenix in a few months and I’m looking at Aeroguard and WestWind at DVT.

dreamwalker1

i'm surprised they're not more competitive with w/ WestWind, especially since they're on the same field. WestWind is offering up to $52k and starting hourly rate of 25/hr level 1.

kryan11

i'm surprised they're not more competitive with w/ WestWind, especially since they're on the same field. WestWind is offering up to $52k and starting hourly rate of 25/hr level 1.
There are opportunities to make $45-$60k at AeroGuard if you want to advance into things like stage check instructor, standardization, CFI training or management. AeroGuard offers a lot of benefits that WestWind doesn't. Sign on Bonuses, Vacation Time, Sick Time, Scheduling, Salary whether you fly or not, Medical, Dental, Vision etc. Plus career paths with Skywest where you can get a $17,500 sign on bonus if you go to SkyWest.

Not to mention air conditioned airplanes in the summer, constant student flow and a lot of flight hours. AeroGuard also offers much more structure to their programs that a lot of students and instructors appreciate. We've had a heavy influx of students come over to AeroGuard from WestWind complaining about the lack of structure in their programs.

Another thing to look into is AeroGuard is expanding operations in Austin, Texas and French Valley, California. So if you're looking for other options besides Phoenix, those are available too.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
There are opportunities to make $45-$60k at AeroGuard if you want to advance into things like stage check instructor, standardization, CFI training or management. AeroGuard offers a lot of benefits that WestWind doesn't. Sign on Bonuses, Vacation Time, Sick Time, Scheduling, Salary whether you fly or not, Medical, Dental, Vision etc. Plus career paths with Skywest where you can get a $17,500 sign on bonus if you go to SkyWest.
That's all well and good, but you didn't answer the question. ;)

Not to mention air conditioned airplanes in the summer, constant student flow and a lot of flight hours. AeroGuard also offers much more structure to their programs that a lot of students and instructors appreciate. We've had a heavy influx of students come over to AeroGuard from WestWind complaining about the lack of structure in their programs.

Another thing to look into is AeroGuard is expanding operations in Austin, Texas and French Valley, California. So if you're looking for other options besides Phoenix, those are available too.
Isn't Westwind all Korean students? Also, air conditioned planes? Nice.

Are you guys cannibalizing planes from other locations, leaving the locations you pouched from high and dry? In order to staff the new location in Temecula/French Valley? :mad:

kryan11

That's all well and good, but you didn't answer the question. ;)
What was the question? Someone already answered the question about salary, and I just responded to the opinion about AeroGuard not being competitive.

Isn't Westwind all Korean students? Also, air conditioned planes? Nice.

Are you guys cannibalizing planes from other locations, leaving the locations you pouched from high and dry? In order to staff the new location in Temecula/French Valley? :mad:
The air conditioning is a life saver right now! It makes a difference. Yes WestWind is all Korean students.

The French Valley location they simply moved planes from Deer Valley to there. Austin, they bought a previous flight school that already had planes and they're using those ones at that location. I am not aware of any planes being brought to Deer Valley from other locations. There's always the rumor going around that we're going to get more new planes from Piper, but still waiting. I'm thankful for the really nice G1000 NXI Archer on the Pathway side they got a year ago though!

dreamwalker1

I understand there will be nights, but not as often; 3 hours out of 40 (if we're talking minimums). Looking for a typical day and how they work their schedule. Not those exceptions. Unless the CFI's there have that many students where they're constantly working a few hours each night to get their students trained.

kryan11

How does Aeroguard work days off? Seniority? During the week or do they offer weekends off? Is it a 8a-5p kinda job?
Days off are all dependent on the days the student's ground schools are scheduled. It could be [Friday, Saturday] [Sunday, Monday] [Tuesday, Wednesday] etc. Days are typically 10 hours, with a 1 hour lunch break. Schedules will vary based on the time of the year, summer time you will start earlier, winter time later.

Private Pilot phase, you will fly during the day. Instrument phase, you will most likely be flying at night. It depends on which students you're teaching (international vs. domestic), but with the international students you may be flying at night until 2-3am. Honestly though, it's the best time to fly and build hours. Less traffic and not as hot.

Commercial phase will be a combination of night and day.

Your schedule will vary quite a bit, but if you want to fly a lot of hours it's worth it.

Cheese7

Days off are all dependent on the days the student's ground schools are scheduled. It could be [Friday, Saturday] [Sunday, Monday] [Tuesday, Wednesday] etc. Days are typically 10 hours, with a 1 hour lunch break. Schedules will vary based on the time of the year, summer time you will start earlier, winter time later.

Private Pilot phase, you will fly during the day. Instrument phase, you will most likely be flying at night. It depends on which students you're teaching (international vs. domestic), but with the international students you may be flying at night until 2-3am. Honestly though, it's the best time to fly and build hours. Less traffic and not as hot.

Commercial phase will be a combination of night and day.

Your schedule will vary quite a bit, but if you want to fly a lot of hours it's worth it.
Great info. Thanks. If the instructor is scheduled to fly say Saturday/Sunday, but needs that particular Sat/Sun off, can they rearrange their schedule? If not, can they take off by using vacation days? If so, how many vacation days do they start with?

kryan11

Great info. Thanks. If the instructor is scheduled to fly say Saturday/Sunday, but needs that particular Sat/Sun off, can they rearrange their schedule? If not, can they take off by using vacation days? If so, how many vacation days do they start with?
Usually they're pretty accommodating with day swaps if needed. You get 16 vacation days a year, and 5 sick days. You start out with 0, but accrue them on every pay check to net out to 16 days by the end of the year.

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Give it a serious consideration if you want hours. I was there when they transitioned to AeroGuard and left in 2016. Grinded out 930 hours in 11 months. Would do it again if I had to. It's a grind and the pay wasn't very good, but you'll get your time and get out.

They also have good career growth within the company.

BTW: You'll want the night schedule. That typically means you're flying in instrument which is where the real time is... 100-120 a month. Airspace is much nicer, not as hot and you can sleep in. Just make sure you can black out your room as Kelley said you'll end around 2am ish. I was actually flying so much I would end some of my students lessons early because I was getting so many hours. You will be very good at being efficient and getting everything done fast.

FWIW... Have fun!

Cheese7

Usually they're pretty accommodating with day swaps if needed. You get 16 vacation days a year, and 5 sick days. You start out with 0, but accrue them on every pay check to net out to 16 days by the end of the year.
Awesome. Thanks. Can you bank days by working on your days off?

Cheese7

Give it a serious consideration if you want hours. I was there when they transitioned to AeroGuard and left in 2016. Grinded out 930 hours in 11 months. Would do it again if I had to. It's a grind and the pay wasn't very good, but you'll get your time and get out.

They also have good career growth within the company.

BTW: You'll want the night schedule. That typically means you're flying in instrument which is where the real time is... 100-120 a month. Airspace is much nicer, not as hot and you can sleep in. Just make sure you can black out your room as Kelley said you'll end around 2am ish. I was actually flying so much I would end some of my students lessons early because I was getting so many hours. You will be very good at being efficient and getting everything done fast.

FWIW... Have fun!
Thanks!

I assume most of the flying is out of Deer Valley? Does anyone have any intel on places to live out there? About how much does a decent 1-BR apartment run?

tcco94

Professional GTA V Pilot
Thanks!

I assume most of the flying is out of Deer Valley? Does anyone have any intel on places to live out there? About how much does a decent 1-BR apartment run?
They also had instructors at CHD. I got an apartment before I started working and wasn't told about CHD until first day of indoc. I just asked if I could stay at DVT due to my apartment lease already being signed and they said yes. I guess you'll know if you go to CHD before day 1. I'm sure Kelley knows more on this.

I got an apartment at Cobblestone apartments. Not great. Not bad. It was okay for the salary. I think I paid $700 including utilities to live alone. You can get nicer but I just got something cheaper so I could have spending money. Assuming you won't be there over 1-1.5 years anyways.

kryan11

Awesome. Thanks. Can you bank days by working on your days off?
Not really. Just get day swaps as needed.

Thanks!

There's just as much flying out of Chandler. They have international and domestic students there as well. There are plenty of places to rent around Deer Valley. Ranging from $700-$1200. A bit expensive, it usually helps if you can find someone to room with. AeroGuard will usually provide housing in a nice apartment for the first couple weeks you're there, usually people use this time to find a place to live and/or someone to room with.