Advice

Beech90

I need some advice.

I got a job interview from Skywest as a ramp agent. Should I take that job and get my CFII and MEI while I'm still living at home or just try to go out and get a flying job/CFI job?

How is a ramp agent job? Anyone ever work as one?

FlyingScot

Spanish Proficient
If you want to be a pilot be a pilot, CFI full time. Any job that gets you near planes but not in the cockpit is a waste of time if you want to fly for a living. If you are still working on your ratings it might be a different story. I would still suggest a night job like a restaurant where you can fly during the day and make money at night.

Rotor2Wing

Unapologetically American
I need some advice.

I got a job interview from Skywest as a ramp agent. Should I take that job and get my CFII and MEI while I'm still living at home or just try to go out and get a flying job/CFI job?

How is a ramp agent job? Anyone ever work as one?
Have you applied at Aerosim? I saw on their website the other day that they "will train for MEI". On the careers page it says "CFII prefered" on the flight instructor job page the CFII is a requirement. It would be worth checking into since you can now get the MEI free.

amjon

Pilot and A Half (for now
Have you applied at Aerosim? I saw on their website the other day that they "will train for MEI". On the careers page it says "CFII prefered" on the flight instructor job page the CFII is a requirement. It would be worth checking into since you can now get the MEI free.
I highly doubt it is free. I'm sure they're taking it out of your paycheck. Does it say it's free or are you just implying because it says "will train for MEI"? I'm not reading free into it.

FlyingScot

Spanish Proficient
I highly doubt it is free. I'm sure they're taking it out of your paycheck. Does it say it's free or are you just implying because it says "will train for MEI"? I'm not reading free into it.
I also doubt it's free but my WAG is they have trouble retaining senior CFIs and use this to recruit them, and retain them, you probably have a contract to stay so many months, years or decades after the "free" rating.

Beech90

I have a current flying job flying skydivers but the summer is coming to a end.

What I'm really asking is would it make sense to get a ramp job get my CFII and MEI while flying skydivers/Instructing on the side or just go out and look for a CFI job right now ( What I really would perfer is Instrucing not flying skydivers)

FlyingScot

Spanish Proficient
CFI right now, after a few months your II will be easy add on, plus cheap if you work for a school.

Rotor2Wing

I also doubt it's free but my WAG is they have trouble retaining senior CFIs and use this to recruit them, and retain them, you probably have a contract to stay so many months, years or decades after the "free" rating.

Although I'm not sure if its free or not but I assumed that it was since it stated as a benefit. I'm sure if you contacted Heather Perkins thats a member she could confirm. Some places do it for free as part of you working there. I know Middle Georgia College gives their CFI/CFIIs free MEI training as part of working for them. It is also not uncommon for places to offer free training or advanced courses as a benefit of being employed there.

amjon

Pilot and A Half (for now
Although I'm not sure if its free or not but I assumed that it was since it stated as a benefit. I'm sure if you contacted Heather Perkins thats a member she could confirm. Some places do it for free as part of you working there. I know Middle Georgia College gives their CFI/CFIIs free MEI training as part of working for them. It is also not uncommon for places to offer free training or advanced courses as a benefit of being employed there.
Knowing the school (or at least what it used to be) makes me doubt it even more. I've never heard of a flight school offering a free rating to CFIs as flight time is NOT free for them. A college course, sure what does it cost them to stick an extra student in the back of the room, but multi flight time, not exactly the same. Discounted to cost maybe, but not free to the student (unless their pay is SO much lower than the norm that they're really taking out of your pay with every check whether you take the rating or not).

Rotor2Wing

Knowing the school (or at least what it used to be) makes me doubt it even more. I've never heard of a flight school offering a free rating to CFIs as flight time is NOT free for them. A college course, sure what does it cost them to stick an extra student in the back of the room, but multi flight time, not exactly the same. Discounted to cost maybe, but not free to the student (unless their pay is SO much lower than the norm that they're really taking out of your pay with every check whether you take the rating or not).
Like I said I do not know the exact details of what Aerosim is offering but I do for a fact that MGC does the MEI for free. They also currently pay decently but used to top the industry in CFI pay for years when a CFI was basically paid the same rate as a community college professor here in Georgia. Of course back in the early to mid 2000s they also offered a C90 KingAir course that included Sim time and 10hrs of actual dual instruction in the aircraft for $2500. Those days are over now though with state funding cut but they still do the MEI for free though.