AAL FA May have exposed pax to hepatitis A

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
We're all exposed to Hep A, and B - and some of us to C - on a freaking daily basis. We should be a lot more worried about the huge and ongoing ... and largely unmitigated and ignored EBOLA outbreak in Africa.

When it comes to infectious agents: EXPOSE yourself - through life or vaccines. Expose yourself. That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Approaching 50 soon, do you really want to get autism now?
I'm approaching 50, I'm a little concerned I might have had it in some form for my whole life and have gone undiagnosed. I like maps, I'm not the most social person and crowds make me uncomfortable, I like complicated machinery, maybe I've got a touch of the Aspergers

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
I'm approaching 50, I'm a little concerned I might have had it in some form for my whole life and have gone undiagnosed. I like maps, I'm not the most social person and crowds make me uncomfortable, I like complicated machinery, maybe I've got a touch of the Aspergers
Don't worry, brother.

These days, people who can concentrate on ONE THING for more than a couple minutes at a time will almost certainly feel Asperger-y and/or be diagnosed on the spectrum. It's all ball bearings these days. \

But these days, it's not joke anymore - we really mean it.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Not true. My leg isn’t nearly as strong as it was before flesh eating bacteria.
If that's true, I'm very sorry for your suffering.

That said, had you mucked about in mud and manure in your childhood, you'd likely never have had your problem.

Our "Anti-bacterial" society is a horrifying farce.

Anti-bacterials only train the bacteria to be more robust.

Just to reiterate:

Last edited:

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member

That said, had you mucked about in mud and manure in your childhood, you'd likely never have had your problem.

Our "Anti-bacterial" society is a horrifying farce.

Anti-bacterials only train the bacteria to be more robust.

Just to reiterate:

I grew up on a horse farm. My (and my rural friends) general health compared to some of the city-only folks I know is crazy the disparity

gne in prog

It’s true, and while not stronger, my skin graft looks tough, so I’ve got that going for me.

In general I agree with your anti-bacterial stance, particularly soaps and hand sanitizers. However, few spent more time outdoors than I growing up, particularly in the mountains, but unfortunately there is no immunity from group-a strep. While some health conditions make one more prone to contracting a necrotizing soft tissue infection, (not a factor for me, my infection was post blunt trauma) even surviving it does nothing to make you immune to it and your odds of contracting it in the future are the same as they were before.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Don't worry, brother.

These days, people who can concentrate on ONE THING for more than a couple minutes at a time will almost certainly feel Asperger-y and/or be diagnosed on the spectrum. It's all ball bearings these days. \

But these days, it's not joke anymore - we really mean it.
Odd thing about that, a guy I used to know a guy (RIP Gordon) that had an ability that I never saw before I met him and I've not seen since. He could look at a wiring diagram for a minute or so and then troubleshoot without looking at it again other needing wire or pin identifiers. He'd look at the drawing and build it in his head so he understood how it worked and just go fix things. I like to think I'm a pretty good troubleshooter, but this guy would just look at a diagram and understand everything it portrayed almost instantly.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
Odd thing about that, a guy I used to know a guy (RIP Gordon) that had an ability that I never saw before I met him and I've not seen since. He could look at a wiring diagram for a minute or so and then troubleshoot without looking at it again other needing wire or pin identifiers. He'd look at the drawing and build it in his head so he understood how it worked and just go fix things. I like to think I'm a pretty good troubleshooter, but this guy would just look at a diagram and understand everything it portrayed almost instantly.
Folks like that always amaze me and give me hope for our potential as a species.

Right now? Gordon - and folks like him - are outliers. Extraordinary, but not particularly relevant to my point.

I'm just talking about the ability to concentrate on one thing for more than a few minutes and, perhaps, connect that one thing to at least a couple of the many things it influences.

knot4u

Repeat Offender
Folks like that always amaze me and give me hope for our potential as a species.

Right now? Gordon - and folks like him - are outliers. Extraordinary, but not particularly relevant to my point.

I'm just talking about the ability to concentrate on one thing for more than a few minutes and, perhaps, connect that one thing to at least a couple of the many things it influences.
That's exactly what he was doing. Gordon passed away almost a decade ago. When we were working he liked to talk about the jeeps he and others had hopped up to run drag races on the PSP runways in Viet Nam when he was in the service. He liked to tell the story of the jeep that he built that had no body to save weight, according to him it ran faster if he drove it naked.

Richman

Big Hep A outbreak this year. It was declared a "health emergency" in Florida, but other states also have large outbreaks.

I haven't heard any specific causal factors. Typical vector is from contaminated food, but the CDC says person to person seems to be the predominant path this time around. There have been a couple cases of restaurant employees with Hep A....

Smart infectious disease guy once told me: "Want to stay healthy? Wash your hands, don't eat from a salad bar, and don't sleep with hookers."

Don't sleep with your pigs and chickens, either.