AA vacancy bid

learhawkerbe400

Aside: One of my old-hand Eagle buddies just started on the 190 after a very...interesting path to the double-ace. JPC the Fifth, if you've flown with him.

There's something marvelous about only hitting five places early on, it means you master the places and master the airplane. But beyond about a few years, that does get very old very fast.
Hmm haven’t flown with him but i have flown with plenty of interesting eagle guys haha.

Yea i legit think ive landed in LGA 500 times in the 190.

L-16B

Option 1: Left seat... reserve or 13 days off a month. 4 day trips with 3 leg days.

Option 2: Right seat... 16 to 18 days off a month. 3 day internationals. 1 leg a day. CPDLC most of the way.

I know what I'd do. That said, everybody is different and once benefit of a big company like AA is that there is something that works for everybody.
I can hold DFW 777 and 787 and while I’m tempted as I’ve been looking reserves as of the 15th already have 50ish hours on the high end. Granted that could be only two trips or six days of flying worth. I need to do some more research to see if it’s worrh making the move and not having weekends off or good vacations. And most importantly not flying or landing the plane.

amorris311

I can hold DFW 777 and 787 and while I’m tempted as I’ve been looking reserves as of the 15th already have 50ish hours on the high end. Granted that could be only two trips or six days of flying worth. I need to do some more research to see if it’s worrh making the move and not having weekends off or good vacations. And most importantly not flying or landing the plane.
I guess it could be worse, you could be a Cowboys fan too.

Hacker15e

Dunning–Kruger Observer
So, what's the "photo grande" at AA with respect to the bid in the thread title?

Lots of folks have their eye on American due to the retirement pace over the next decade translating to fast career seniority progression. Is any of that starting to manifest itself yet?

I have a former Cactus buddy who has finally been able to bid PHX 73 Captain 13 years after his initial pre-USAirways merger award of the same thing. His take is that the last two system bids have done a lot to allow folks stuck in pre-merger positions to get themselves where they want to be finally.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
So, what's the "photo grande" at AA with respect to the bid in the thread title?

Lots of folks have their eye on American due to the retirement pace over the next decade translating to fast career seniority progression. Is any of that starting to manifest itself yet?

I have a former Cactus buddy who has finally been able to bid PHX 73 Captain 13 years after his initial pre-USAirways merger award of the same thing. His take is that the last two system bids have done a lot to allow folks stuck in pre-merger positions to get themselves where they want to be finally.
Things are finally starting to move along post-merger. The upcoming years are our biggest for retirements, about 800-900+ schedule to leave every year for the next 5 or so. This last bid was a big one in advance of summer flying. I dont think anyone should come here because we have more retirements than the others, bc i think its really comparable to all the other legacy carriers. I think we will continue to see E190 captain available to whomever wants it (or doesnt want it even), A320/737 CA around the 5-6 year mark.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Things are finally starting to move along post-merger. The upcoming years are our biggest for retirements, about 800-900+ schedule to leave every year for the next 5 or so. This last bid was a big one in advance of summer flying. I dont think anyone should come here because we have more retirements than the others, bc i think its really comparable to all the other legacy carriers. I think we will continue to see E190 captain available to whomever wants it (or doesnt want it even), A320/737 CA around the 5-6 year mark.
As someone lunatic enough to consider leaving about 54% at the 5th largest carrier at age 34, I can wholeteardly tell you if I had to pick a big 3 on progression, I'd do AA in a heartbeat. In 10 yrs AA retires 8,300 mandatory! DL same 10 yr timeframe is about 6300. Both pilot groups have about 14,000-14,500 pilots total. United is about 12,600 pilots today and retire about 5,200 in 10 yrs. Delta peak retirements happen sooner than United. For Delta it's the first part of the 2020 decade whereas for United it's the latter half. For AA it's just outright crazy retirements all around.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Cactus guys got screwed after the Nicoloau award and US Airways pilot antics with voting ALPA out and bringing in USAPA. 2007-2013 was a bad time for them all. I'm glad to see they finally get movement and the ability to go where they want bid-wise.

L-16B

As someone lunatic enough to consider leaving about 54% at the 5th largest carrier at age 34, I can wholeteardly tell you if I had to pick a big 3 on progression, I'd do AA in a heartbeat. In 10 yrs AA retires 8,300 mandatory! DL same 10 yr timeframe is about 6300. Both pilot groups have about 14,000-14,500 pilots total. United is about 12,600 pilots today and retire about 5,200 in 10 yrs. Delta peak retirements happen sooner than United. For Delta it's the first part of the 2020 decade whereas for United it's the latter half. For AA it's just outright crazy retirements all around.
For perspective AA updated seniority list once a year in July. I’m around 11400 last July. Got a buddy at United that was 11300 last July. So we are very close in seniority numbers (no clue about relative).

In 2025 I’ll be 5470 and he will be 8440
In 2030 I’ll be 2340 and he will be 5200
In 2035 I’ll be 680 and he will be 2720
In 2040 I’ll be 270 and he will be 1300
All numbers for AA and United are in July of those years.

We both end up within 15 numbers of eachother in retirement. Which will mean nothing with single pilot or no pilots :eek2::eek2:

bLizZuE

Fly airplanes, drink beer, never at the same time.
I ditched my flow to go to UAL. My DOH at Eagle will flow by March of this year. Several people told me I was stupid for giving up my slot because the progression at AA will be better and all the young CO guys senior to me at UAL.

Right now I show seniority 305 at retirement. I’ll tell you how it worked out in February 2048.

Cherokee_Cruiser

Both of you are in great spots given your seniority and age today.

I'm about 54% today and retire #2 or #3 depending on if that one guy leaves to Frontier. I don't look 3 decades down just yet, enjoying the family time and young kids. All I wish for was a midwest or east coast base in ANY city (let alone NYC).

ClarkGriswold

Non Nutritive Cereal Varnish Engineer
For perspective AA updated seniority list once a year in July. I’m around 11400 last July. Got a buddy at United that was 11300 last July. So we are very close in seniority numbers (no clue about relative).

We both end up within 15 numbers of eachother in retirement. Which will mean nothing with single pilot or no pilots :eek2::eek2:
Comparing SJI
Currently around 11500
2025 - 6100
2030 - 4200
2035 - 2400
2040 - 1400
2045 - 500
2050 - 20

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member

That’s pretty crazy, good, for both. Although 5 years is a long time...if you were to take your 5470 and use it today it would buy you a 767 Captain seat, comfortable line holding 320/737 Captain, or 777/787/330 FO that picks where’s they go.