AA vacancy bid

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
@learhawkerbe400 went straight from left seat of American Eagle to left seat of airbus captain in the most recent AA bid. Talk about the flow through working! Congrats buddy!
Begs the question of "what's wrong with being an Airbus captain" if it goes so junior (NOTE: I don't know how junior he actually is, but it sounds like he just flowed). Like how junior the Long Beach Death Tube was at SJI for a bit.

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
Begs the question of "what's wrong with being an Airbus captain" if it goes so junior (NOTE: I don't know how junior he actually is, but it sounds like he just flowed). Like how junior the Long Beach Death Tube was at SJI for a bit.
737 and Airbus CA are getting down to around 5-6 year mark. Right now in LGA/PHL mostly with some MIA and LAX sprinkled in. Its not that the airplane is junior, its the city thats making it so. Lots of good 777 an 787 positions out there to for folks around the same seniority.

Last edited:

BobDDuck

Island Bus Driver
Lots of good 777 an 787 positions out there to for folks are the same seniority.
Option 1: Left seat... reserve or 13 days off a month. 4 day trips with 3 leg days.

Option 2: Right seat... 16 to 18 days off a month. 3 day internationals. 1 leg a day. CPDLC most of the way.

I know what I'd do. That said, everybody is different and once benefit of a big company like AA is that there is something that works for everybody.

learhawkerbe400

Option 1: Left seat... reserve or 13 days off a month. 4 day trips with 3 leg days.

Option 2: Right seat... 16 to 18 days off a month. 3 day internationals. 1 leg a day. CPDLC most of the way.

I know what I'd do. That said, everybody is different and once benefit of a big company like AA is that there is something that works for everybody.
Option 3: get withheld from training for a year while getting group 2 captain pay and being senior in your category then go straight to a line in the left seat of the bus or 73. Granted only 190 captains and a few other seats get withheld that long.

Glad to have choices!

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member

Yuck, 3 days. :)

Autothrust Blue

Ultra-low-cost member
I love the airplane. But after 5.5 years in it I’m over it. Plus we go to the same 5 places. It’s tough to not get complacent.
Aside: One of my old-hand Eagle buddies just started on the 190 after a very...interesting path to the double-ace. JPC the Fifth, if you've flown with him.

There's something marvelous about only hitting five places early on, it means you master the places and master the airplane. But beyond about a few years, that does get very old very fast.

nimslow

Congrats!! It certainly appears the bus is the place to be to enjoy some movement. 18 months of commuting to reserve and counting on the 73. I'd be a line holder on the bus. I've got an entitlement to G4 fo in DFW, and I should get one for bus ca in DFW off this bid but I expect to be withheld for the full 12 months, no matter what I end up taking.