AA Hiring

TXDX

Not totally. They could still call. They did the same for last years hiring. But chances are slim though. They are only hiring 7 from what I hear.

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
Not totally. They could still call. They did the same for last years hiring. But chances are slim though. They are only hiring 7 from what I hear.
7 is the minimum. It could be more. I wouldnt be surprised to see 7 hired and a bunch put in the pool while they decide the exact size.

manniax

Well-met in the Ka-tet
FYI: AA FPS (Flight Planning Support) is open now. Not sure what the planned internal/external mix is or anything like that, but the posting is up.
I've heard that's a decent job, but that you have to spend a certain amount of time there (I believe 3 years) before you can apply for dispatch openings. Does anyone who works at AA know the required time in that position before you can transfer?

F

Flying Saluki

I've heard that's a decent job, but that you have to spend a certain amount of time there (I believe 3 years) before you can apply for dispatch openings. Does anyone who works at AA know the required time in that position before you can transfer?
Apply for dispatch openings? or get upgraded?

Flagship_dxer

Legacy Airline Dispatcher
If FPS is posting its because they are going to be losing people to dispatch. They are covered by the same contract and union as the dispatch group so normally there are at least a few spots in a class given to that group even though there is no guarantee to be hired. The pay is pretty good and beats most regional and Supplemental pay.

As far as getting into dispatch, I am not sure the exact wait. Like everything, the waiting time can be waived or extended by management. I like to say the minimum is 6 months but it could be higher.

FPS use most of the same entries on a daily basis and plan most of the routes the international dispatchers use so they are easier to get trained when they do move to dispatch.

PlaneFun

FPS takes 6-7 months of training until signed off and requires minimum 2 years in the department. It’s not guaranteed flow to dispatch you need to test and interview just as everyone else. FPS is a very good gig and his a pretty decent size department with few manager positions, trainers, etc. It deals mainly with European and Pacific routing, overfly permits, ATC issues, troubleshoots flight plans, and maintains the companies navigational databases.

Last edited:

GAPILOT17

Getting a job in FPS is the same as getting a mainline job .. needle in a haystack. FPS are paid very well for their job duties and the turn over is low. Many make a career from the department and its stepping stones. Whenever it hires someone went a different way in the company or retired.