1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AA Hiring

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by Flagship_dxer, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

You all know that's how Southwest and Delta did it for years. Nothing new here. AA has done it in the past as well. Good luck in the event they do explore external candidates.

2. Delta Echo

Delta Echo Well-Known Member

And working in another capacity at an airline doesn't mean your a good employee either.

Also, airlines do have processes for screening for behavior and personality in interviews and its not as hard as some would think for them to gage an external vs. An internal.

3. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but an internal is still a better known quantity vs. the external. The internal is known; he's worked with you for x number of years, and know what his strong & weak points are. The only way you can get close to that is if you personally know someone (e.g. a former colleague) at the external's employer.

4. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

But the benefit gained on an internal is simply that you can see that persons file, check with their supervisor and talked to people who have worked with them.

For example, there are 18 routers who are applying for jobs when open. I am an operations coordinator and I work with routers every day. They can come ask me if John Doe is an axxhat or not. We will never know if you are an axxhat. That would be the gamble.

ADXnewbie and MarkM0228 like this.
  5. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

Thanks for making my point better than I did!

6. CRJInTheHeartOfTexas

CRJInTheHeartOfTexas ♫ The Stars at Night Are Big and Bright ♫

If this goes only internals I'm going to be very angry. At least give people a shot. Loyalty should not never override quality. My connections think there is still a decent shot it will be available for externals so I'm calling this alternative democrat facts.

MarkM0228 likes this.
  7. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

First off remember this,,, AA owes you nothing, so stop acting like they do. There are people in this room who have worked for AA for 15 years and they are good hard working employees, they may just give them a shot first.

Internal hires avoid the hassle of having to worry about the logistics of bringing people in from all over the country. They estimate there are over 100 people in the DFW area that meet the requirements to apply. If they were to hire 20, that's a 5 to 1 interview ratio. That's a good number.

And finally, if you don't get that, and you are angry, we don't want you anyway.

8. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

And my connections, the hiring committee, is leaning towards internal. And I bet my connections are better then your alledged connections.

JetCrew likes this.
  9. CPZ9900

CPZ9900 Well-Known Member

The arrogance is astounding.

[​IMG]

Delta Echo likes this.
  10. Flagship_dxer

Flagship_dxer The Penis Mightier

You may have more up to date information than I do but last I had heard it wasnt certain who would be doing the hiring. Unless it has already been decided, nothing would surprise me given that this is the first time that we have hired since before we moved into new IOC and merged with the L-US side. I do agree that if the class is 20-30 people and the number of people who accept the re-calls is in the 6-12 range, I think it will be all internal. As you said, too many FPS, load planners, and maintenance routers that are more than qualified and are good to work with. But if hiring exceeds 30 and is somewhat closer to what the union wants, then I think hiring would have to open up to externals.

There may be 80 people with certificates in the IOC but not all are qualified. Some are already making a bad name for themselves. So if hiring does get into the 50-80 range over the next year or two, there will be at least some externals. This is really the start of a flood of hiring. There are a ton of retirements that likely to be coming over the next 5 years or so. So for externals, the first class or two may be mostly internal but as time goes on the need will exceed what internals can do.

Dont forget that internals without experience overall took the longest to get signed off in the past several L-AA classes followed by externals with experience. Eagle dispatchers fit in almost seamlessly because the dispatching systems were the same. If we want desks to be staffed quickly, FPS and Eagle dispatchers who know how to use the dispatch tools will be signed off the quickest.

ADXnewbie likes this.
  11. Delta Echo

It is a small field. Plenty of opportunity to know someone that knows an applicant. Also, phone calls to others is a very easy thing and although a potential employer can not ask questions beyond the basics it wouldn't be surprising that more get asked in "clandestine" conversations.

12. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

You rip this guy for years about his alleged connections and you say I'm arrogant.

13. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

I guess anything is possible.

14. Delta Echo

Of all businesses an airline doesn't have a logistics problem bringing people in for interviews that are out of driving range.

Working 15 years for a company is fine, but it should not trump having dx experience, especially at a major.

15. Flagship_dxer

Flagship_dxer The Penis Mightier

Most of FPS has prior dispatch experience. Many in other IOC departments do as well. Most likely enough to fill a class of 20 or so with the furlough re-calls. There might not even be a need to hire internals without experience given how many have prior dispatch experience.

16. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

There are a couple in crew that worked for expressjet. He has 15 years and she has 3. As he said, several in flight planning and let's not forget how many children of current dispatchers are working in various departments.

DE, I get what you are saying and I know past practice does not indicate future experience, but I can tell you in the 7 years leading up to the merger, it was done both ways. Even the last Airways class had a mix of int/ext hires.

The company will determine if they will spend extra time training dispatchers from scratch or taking some experience off the street. They have had some good luck in the past as well as hiring some external duds. Time will tell.

manniax likes this.
  17. CRJInTheHeartOfTexas

Wrong

18. CRJInTheHeartOfTexas

Wrong.

19. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

Just sharing information from the inside. Nothing more, nothing less compass. You would certainly classify as an axxhat. Doubt there will be compass hires if it were external.

20. Bogey2

Bogey2 Well-Known Member

Now that was arrogance.