1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A&P vs Avionics Technician...

Discussion in 'The MX Hangar (A&P/AMT)' started by Shiftace, May 1, 2017.

1. Shiftace

Shiftace Low Time Private Pilot

Can one solely be an avionics technician without having to get the A&P certificate?

Any resources to get started towards this certification?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2. ppragman

ppragman Direct BOOKE

I too would like to know this.

Shiftace likes this.
  3. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

I'll try to write something up this evening. Short answer, yes but.

Shiftace likes this.
  4. Roger Roger

Roger Roger Navajo Whisperer

Ok. Yes, you can be an avionics tech without an A&P but you would have to be employed by a part 145 repair station. I'm not in that world so I don't know what you'd have to do (school, OJT, sweep floors and work your way up) to get hired. I know that there are schools out there for avionics but the ones I'm familiar with target guys with an A&P and a couple years experience who want the formal avionics piece of their education.

Shiftace likes this.
  5. CrimsonEclipse

CrimsonEclipse Well-Known Member

You can be an avionics technician without any license.

An FAA airframe license is desired if the operation requires you to sign off an airplane to airworthiness.

Other operations require a GROL (FCC General Radiotelephone Operator License) ((also lookup RADAR endorsement))

There are other non-government licenses and certificates out there that hold a certain amount of pull to certain companies but are not universally accepted.

Experience is a larger factor than licenses here. Working with wires, troubleshooting, wiring harnesses, troubleshooting, installs, troubleshooting, wiring diagrams, and troubleshooting.

I acquired my licenses through self study. Went for the Amateur Radio License then the GROL later on. Some schools teach it, may or may not be worth it.

A+P helps a LOT and makes you more versatile.

CE

Shiftace likes this.
  6. Andrew_Neal

Andrew_Neal Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums it up...

I started in aviation as an avionics technician in the military, spent about a year total in various schools and then went on to work on helicopter avionics for another 4 years. Not sure how you'd go about it in the civilian world. If I had to guess I'd say find a community college with some aviation/electronics/avionics courses, certificates or degrees and do that. It's possible to be an avionics technician without an A&P; especially if you focus more on bench level stuff as a technician with somebody like Honeywell or Rockwell Collins.. but if you actually want to be around the airport or get on with companies that work directly with the aircraft - then you will definitely need an A&P due to FARs.

I wish I had done mine while I was still in the military!

Edit: And the FCC license.. you'll need that as well - as Crimson mentioned. Bottom line, if you ever want to make more than $25/hr as an avionics guy I'd try and get every certification you can.