1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A&P to dispatcher

Discussion in 'Flight Control/Dispatch' started by Mech_Josh, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Mech_Josh

Mech_Josh New Member

Hello all,
    Been working as an corporate A&P for about 6 years and I am ready for a change. I need to get out of the heat/cold, away from all of the chemicals (skydrol), tight cramped spaces. I'd love a job that I could stay clean and still be in aviation.

Been looking in to dispatching and it seems like it would be a challenging job and I'm looking for some input from dispatchers in the field on how they like the job. Is it worth the school price?

2. Delta Echo

Delta Echo Well-Known Member

It might be for you, but then you would also have to consider what the position requires, what and who dispatchers work with and how well you might fit into that environment.
    Another option with your A&P is to look into Maintenance Control or Maintenance planning positions.

manniax likes this.
  3. Mech_Josh

Mech_Josh New Member

Those positions are few and far between or else I would be all over it. I also want to broaden my aviation knowledge.

4. DispatcherSam

DispatcherSam NOTAMed OTS

The potential return on investment is arguably as good as any job

METARd likes this.
  5. JetCrew

JetCrew Well-Known Member

Like @Delta Echo said... MXC... Most majors pay well. Almost as well as, or better than, DX. NewsBot posted a few MXC job openings on the Dispatch Jobs Page last night.

6. azmedic

azmedic Well-Known Member

Both 9E and CP are hiring for MXC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. maksvell

maksvell Well-Known Member

if you want to live longer i'dd stay away from MTX control as far as possible

8. Flying Saluki

Flying Saluki Well-Known Member

I think "intimidating" is more apt description than challenging. When you first get signed off at your employer and you take the desk for the first time you get an awesome sense of responsibility of the job. Don't worry, that fades pretty quickly. :) Not that it's not important, but it's not like we're NASA Flight Controllers calculating a lunar orbit rendezvous trajectory with a slide rule.

That said, I think the level of challenge comes from the environment you are working in. If you are working in a one-man shop with complete responsibility for dispatch, aircraft routing, and delay/cancel decisions, you are going to be more challenged than if you work in a large operation where your sole responsibilities are flight planning, release, and flight following.

Is it worth the price? Well, depending on where you go, 3 to 5 thousand dollars, and 5 to 8 weeks of schooling, gets you an entry level job paying $15 to $16 an hour at a regional airline. Stay there 10 years (ish) and you top out in the $23-$25 range (current rates). Or move on to a Supplemental/LCC, and you are starting in the $18-20 range. No idea where they top out. If you are one of the few* who make it to a major airline, you're starting in the $50-60K range, and topping out at about twice that (again, about 10 years). So, is it worth the price? Only you can say for sure.

*I say "few" because major airline dispatcher jobs are few and far between. The majors just went through a big hiring spree, and are likely set for a while in terms of staffing. Not that there won't be hiring, but it will likely be for attrition rather than growth. Also, there is a lot of competition for those jobs, both externally and internally. Unlike pilots and (I would guess) mechanics, major airlines will hire internal candidates with little or no experience. So not only are you competing with the 1000 other regional airline dispatchers out there, you are also competing with who-knows-how-many internal employees with a dispatcher license. Quoth Colonel Nathan Jessup: "Roll the dice and take your chances".

Pilot121 likes this.
  9. MarkM0228

MarkM0228 Well-Known Member

When did he say that? I've seen A Few Good Men multiple times and I have the DVD, but I don't remember that line...

Luigi likes this.
  10. Flying Saluki

About 1/3 of the way through the movie when they are down at Gitmo having lunch.

11. MarkM0228

Funny, I don't remember that line. I remember Jessup sarcastically saying he wanted to help Lt. Caffey; I remember him saying there was nothing sexier than saluting a woman in the morning; but I do not remember that line. That's ok; it gives me an excuse to watch one of my FAVORITE movies again... :)

thegriffinpages likes this.
  12. Flying Saluki

13. MarkM0228

Funny, I don't remember that line. I remember Jessup sarcastically saying he wanted to help Lt. Caffey; I remember him saying there was nothing sexier than saluting a woman in the morning; but I do not remember that line. That's ok; it gives me an excuse to watch one of my FAVORITE movies again... :)
    Thank you! There are so many good lines and scenes from that movie that that quote gets overshadowed.