777X fails stress test

z987k

download.jpeg

1% below the required limit is some engineers getting really close to a perfect structure that is as light as possible while having the required strength. In reality 10% stronger than it needs to be is a bigger failure.

That said they need to actually test it once fixed. I think we know how this will end otherwise.

Baronman

So they get 1% below a passing score and still "pass"
I read it as they were 1% below which meant it failed. But by a small enough margin that if they reinforce the area they won't have to shatter another wing with a retest. They still have to modify.

z987k

I read it as they were 1% below which meant it failed. But by a small enough margin that if they reinforce the area they won't have to shatter another wing with a retest. They still have to modify.
That's such a weird thing, since that doesn't mean something down the line wont fail once this item is able to deliver more load to what it's attached to.

That's been my experience in beefing up airplane parts. It just means something else fails due to stresses it can't take when previously the weakest point was X which in reality protected Y.

trafficinsight

That's such a weird thing, since that doesn't mean something down the line wont fail once this item is able to deliver more load to what it's attached to.

That's been my experience in beefing up airplane parts. It just means something else fails due to stresses it can't take when previously the weakest point was X which in reality protected Y.

Maybe you should give them a call, what if they haven't thought of that? ;)