76 C177 RG

n57flyguy

That would be sweet. Love that engine
What does it give you? Better climb and a few more True? Doesnt the 390 have a lower TBO?

I flew a 73 177B for a while. Fantastic airplane, one of my favorites to this day.

BigZ

What does it give you? Better climb and a few more True? Doesnt the 390 have a lower TBO?

I flew a 73 177B for a while. Fantastic airplane, one of my favorites to this day.
About the only direct comparison I have is two otherwise identical Glasair Sportsmen 2+2, one with io360 10:1 pistons, another with stock io390. The later one just had more oomph. Torquey in the right places, shorter TO, better climb

n57flyguy

Right on - its a cool STC. I'm not sure what justifies the extra expense for a 177's purpose. I won't deny it would feel more 'just right' to have a few extra ponies up front.

z987k

About the only direct comparison I have is two otherwise identical Glasair Sportsmen 2+2, one with io360 10:1 pistons, another with stock io390. The later one just had more oomph. Torquey in the right places, shorter TO, better climb
Interesting. Given the massive weight penalty of the 390 I've always said if I was buying a new 4 cylinder itd be a lycon jug parallel 360 with high compression since those make more power than the 390 and weight 60lbs less and cost 1/4 as much.

BigZ

Interesting. Given the massive weight penalty of the 390 I've always said if I was buying a new 4 cylinder itd be a lycon jug parallel 360 with high compression since those make more power than the 390 and weight 60lbs less and cost 1/4 as much.
Friends had pretty good results with the long piston travel 360s aka io375. Can't confirm or deny, kinda goes against my beliefs of how things should be, but heard good reviews.