737 Max Airliners Ordered Immediately Grounded in the US

dustoff17

It's usually just a matter of administrative law. On the request of the president the FAA will act.

Mandates of the FAA have the force of law and Administrative Law Courts enforce the law.
I absolutely agree. I think it interesting the posts in this thread reference this grounding.

And today....Congress is all over the FFA (yeah, I know) for not grounding the MAX sooner!

Richman

I grew up in the food industry, have a good amount of schooling in science and engineering, and fool around with this flying thing.

What Chrichton said about the media is accurate. Wrong about one field, sure, maybe they suck at just that, but everything I’ve seen is that they are wildly inaccurate over the span of multiple subjects.

Follow the money and fear sells. Written by folks who flunked out of accounting or general chemistry (to be fair, we used to call organic chemistry “pre-business”).

bucksmith

Did you lock the doors?
Sooo, I’m going to work tomorrow and suppose to airline home Saturday. American finally got back to us and the word is they are not grounding any airplanes until they “get it in writing”. So our flights aren’t canceled yet and we can’t make other arrangements.
Not sure where the truth is located on the scale, the speculation is that they are trying to hold out until the “black box” tells the tail.
Flight out is 0500ish, wouldn’t mind sticking around for some conch salad...

yup
< this thing has 25 10mm bolts on the oil pan. When I had to replace the gasket I just smiled in appreciation of how german that is
There are at least 16* bolts holding the 22" diameter nose-cone of a Lear to the nose of the aircraft.

Given that under virtually every conceivable circumstance encountered by an aircraft, the nose-cone is going to be held fast to the nose by airflow, 16 bolts seems a bit excessive.

Yet, still, very German... and comforting. I love flying tanks.

* at least 16 (some might have 17), 'cause, you know, Lears are like old Porsches ... handbuilt. You know what they say, "If you've seen one Lear, you've seen one Lear."

Last edited:

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
There are at least 16* bolts holding the 22" diameter nosecone of a Lear to the nose of the aircraft.
Given that under virtually every conceivable circumstance encountered by an aircraft, the nosecone is going to be held fast to the nose by airflow, 16 bolts seems a bit excessive. Yet, still, very German... and comforting. I love flying tanks.

* at least 16 (some might have 17), 'cause, you know, Lears are like old Porsches ... handbuilt. You know what they say, "If you've seen one Lear, you've seen one Lear."
If our mechanics ever piss me off I’m going to take off the avionics bay panels and replace half the camlocs with Phillips.

In no discernible pattern.

If our mechanics ever piss me off I’m going to take off the avionics bay panels from a Lear and replace half the camlocs with Phillips.
"Roger," Roger!
OMG! So much Lear Love! ... and Wrench Ruv! (Can you imagine giving our Lears to out-sourced China-wrenches for Mx??? Hell, that alone might win the Trade War).

Last edited:

z987k

Yet, still, very German... and comforting. I love flying tanks.
Idk, on my personal airplane, I keep coming across things that are so obviously overbuilt. Like this part will take 10+Gs and survive a 200mph nose first CFIT. And I just keep wanting to redesign it to normal category standards and save 100lbs.

Idk, on my personal airplane, I keep coming across things that are so obviously overbuilt. Like this part will take 10+Gs and survive a 200mph nose first CFIT. And I just keep wanting to redesign it to normal category standards and save 100lbs.
Nope. You like it that way. You just haven't yet come to that realization. ;)

srn121

If it’s anything like the Zuckerberg congress testimony, I’ll have to get some popcorn.

Congress be like..
Boeing's got top notch lobbyists and that's probably what they do better than anyone else as they are in the military industry after all and if you've noticed we have no problem in this country of shoveling ridiculous sums there way as I think they are the second largest defense contractor behind Lockheed-Martin. Facebook and google get away with endless invasions of privacy and congress does nothing, but Boeing who manufacture the F-18, the F-15, the P-8, the A-64, the A-63, the Chinook and a bunch of other things might face some congressman trying to make themselves look good in the world of soundbites, but I'd be amazed if they got much more than a wrist slap as our politicians are excellent at playing for show and that's assuming that they are intentionally at fault as Lion Air's recorders were only just found less than two months ago so I'm not sure what people expect as mistakes can and do happen. The public knows very little so far, but everyone's an expert all of a sudden and Boeing must be guilty of something (which they may be like incompetence, but how are we so certain now?).