737 Max Airliners Ordered Immediately Grounded in the US

NovemberEcho

Dergs favorite member
Of course. I saw it on Facebook too.

Even after some test engineers said "Nah, y'aint gettin' outta DAT!"

Thank goodness the crew wasn't all female or all Navy, there would be a heated discussion on that in some circles.
Do we know for sure they weren’t ex Ethiopian Navy?

trafficinsight

Thank goodness the crew wasn't all female or all Navy, there would be a heated discussion on that in some circles.
Dang I missed my chance to say "The captain was male, not saying it mattered, just pointing it out."

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

chrisreedrules

Master Blaster
It’s always easy to armchair quarterback these things...

I had an emergency in January that was quasi serious. One thing these reports never do a good job of is relaying the circumstances. Having an emergency on a 5AM first flight of the day not even an hour after you woke up is different (to me) than one on leg 2 or 3 at 4:00PM. We handled it just fine but it definitely gives you a new perspective about these things. The answers aren’t always so black and white.

Autothrust Blue

"...I know bait when I see it..."
It’s always easy to armchair quarterback these things...
Did you have a real point?

The answers aren’t always so black and white.
*sigh* This one is. The design is defective and its handling characteristics have been band-aided over.

After the first accident, the damn things should have been grounded until such time as pilots were retrained and the system modified (like, the things they're doing now, though again, one wonders how neutering a system that doesn't comply with Part 25 because the rest of the airplane sans the system doesn't comply with Part 25 is going to make the totality of the system comply with Part 25 [five times fast]).

The "emergency AD" reminding people of the existing procedure (itself only partially applicable) was simply regulatory ass-covering on the part of an FAA thoroughly captured by the industry and the delay in the FAA taking decisive action to ground a defective product post-Ethiopian severely damaged its credibility.

trafficinsight

Did you have a real point?

*sigh* This one is. The design is defective and its handling characteristics have been band-aided over.

After the first accident, the damn things should have been grounded until such time as pilots were retrained and the system modified (like, the things they're doing now, though again, one wonders how neutering a system that doesn't comply with Part 25 because the rest of the airplane sans the system doesn't comply with Part 25 is going to make the totality of the system comply with Part 25 [five times fast]).

The "emergency AD" reminding people of the existing procedure (itself only partially applicable) was simply regulatory ass-covering on the part of an FAA thoroughly captured by the industry and the delay in the FAA taking decisive action to ground a defective product post-Ethiopian severely damaged its credibility.
You keep saying that but you still don't seem to understand how certification works...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cherokee_Cruiser

It’s sad that even in 2019 there are pilots here (US) who don’t believe that it was Boeing or training faults, it’s 4 brown pilots who crashed. And when they say it wouldn’t have happened here, from the tone you can tell what they mean is white pilots. It’s implied racism.

Same guy who told me he wouldn’t put his family on ANY airline in Africa except South African Airways......

Kingairer

'Tiger Team' Member
It’s sad that even in 2019 there are pilots here (US) who don’t believe that it was Boeing or training faults, it’s 4 brown pilots who crashed. And when they say it wouldn’t have happened here, from the tone you can tell what they mean is white pilots. It’s implied racism.

Same guy who told me he wouldn’t put his family on ANY airline in Africa except South African Airways......
I dont think its racism at all. Its pilots. Pilots from the Navy think theyre better than Air Force. Pilots from regional airline A think they are better then regional airline pilot B. Pilots for a western major airline are going to think they are better than pilots from a third world country or any of those russian airlines. "Through these doors walk....."

Roger Roger

Paid to sleep, fly for fun
I mean, setting aside the Max crash Id be shocked if any of you would put your family on Lion Air. Dont they ball one up for fairly stupid reasons about once a year?

FlyingAccountant

Lion Air definitely wasn't about brown people. There are easily justifiable reasons to be weary of that airline, not the least of which was being banned from flying in the EU for safety reasons until relatively recently. They were averaging a WFU accident every year not too long ago.

But this is all sort of irrelevant. Boeing shouldn't have designed an airplane capable of crashing itself and the FAA should have never allowed Boeing to police and certify itself.