737 Max Airliners Ordered Immediately Grounded in the US

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
I do know one guy at the bar, and I'll take his word regarding the words of his colleagues. I'll also take the word of many others who have been quoted anonymously by reputable reporters. The burden of proof at this point is probable cause, not without a reasonable doubt.
I think you mean “a preponderance of the evidence,” but I’ll nod in approval.

Der rote Baron

Interesting read:

Weeks after the first fatal crash of the 737 Max, pilots from American Airlines pressed Boeing executives to work urgently on a fix. In a closed-door meeting, they even argued that Boeing should push authorities to take an emergency measure that would likely result in the grounding of the Max.
The Boeing executives resisted. They didn’t want to rush out a fix, and said they expected pilots to be able to handle problems.
Mike Sinnett, a vice president at Boeing, acknowledged that the manufacturer was assessing potential design flaws with the plane, including new anti-stall software. But he balked at taking a more aggressive approach, saying it was not yet clear that the new system was to blame for the Lion Air crash, which killed 189 people.
“No one has yet to conclude that the sole cause of this was this function on the airplane,” Mr. Sinnett said, according to a recording of the Nov. 27 meeting reviewed by The New York Times.
Less than four months later, an Ethiopian Airlines flight crashed, killing all 157 people on board. The flawed anti-stall system played a role in both disasters.
Boeing is facing intense scrutiny for the design and certification of the Max, as well as for its response to the two crashes. There are multiple investigations into the development of the Max. And in recent days, unions representing pilots from American Airlines and Southwest Airlines have received federal grand jury subpoenas for any documents related to Boeing’s communications about the jet, according to three people with knowledge of the matter.
The Federal Aviation Administration is also under fire for its role in approving the Max, and its decision to wait for days after the second crash to ground the plane. At a Wednesday congressional hearing, lawmakers will grill federal regulators about how the Max was certified.

trafficinsight

Pilots: I’m so glad we don’t have to build the airplane anymore
Also pilots: We NeEd ThE KnOwLeDgE!!!
Pilots, for real: I hate checkrides.

I mean, that's what we're really talking about here. The "dumbing down" of training is so that checkrides are easier to pass.

I don't blame us, it's true, checkrides are a pain in the ass, focus bizarrely on minute useless detail, and happen entirely too often.

A new approach is needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

pianokeys

MEL NO MUFFS
Rough times ahead.....

Kinda greasy how Boeing said they believe knowledge of the system wouldnt have made a difference in both incidents. Boeing did say today the software update is in.

Beaker

"The official, Boeing vice president Mike Sinnett, who does not appear to know he was being recorded, claimed what happened to Lion Air was a once-in-a-lifetime type scenario."

To be fair, his analysis was dead-on accurate for about 189 people.

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
"The official, Boeing vice president Mike Sinnett, who does not appear to know he was being recorded, claimed what happened to Lion Air was a once-in-a-lifetime type scenario."

To be fair, his analysis was dead-on accurate for about 189 people.
I feel guilty and abashed liking your post.

Hilariously ironic AND Horribly irreverent all at the same time.

Der rote Baron

“You’re going to have a bit of a delay in terms of regulators, Canada, Europe, China. It’s going to take time to get this aircraft back in the air. If it’s in the air by Christmas I’ll be surprised,” Clark told reporters during the sidelines of the IATA annual meeting in Seoul.
Tim Clark EK last week at an IATA meeting.