737-800 demonstrates soft field take off in Moscow.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
Yep perfect sense. Never knew about the different settings, always assumed takeoff meant balls to the walls
Nah. Not on jets. On props, very much so. But not on jets.

Heat is the enemy of engine life, and the brother of thrust; there is no reason to use more thrust than the situation warrants especially if you value not having engine failures. Sometimes the situation does warrant full blow, either through captain judgment or actual conditions or limitations.

The Whiz had a long, four part series that a GE powerplant guy gave that explains a lot of this in detail. I wish it was publicly available but the short answer is that if you don’t flex when the situation calls for it you’re just an •. Or Chinese, and you like cracking burner cans.

typhoonpilot

When I worked for Boeing over 3 years ago I wrote a comprehensive article on how to help prevent these types of incidents from continuing to happen. Boeing flight operations management completely ignored the suggestions. Their head will continue to be buried in the sand until such time that a B777/787 goes off the end of the runway and explodes killing all aboard due to such an error. Qatar very nearly did that in Miami in 2015. MK Airlines did do it in 2004. It's just really sad. Boeing flight operations management and flight standards have very little actual airline operating experience, especially on widebody aircraft, so they fail to recognize the threat.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
When I worked for Boeing over 3 years ago I wrote a comprehensive article on how to help prevent these types of incidents from continuing to happen. Boeing flight operations management completely ignored the suggestions. Their head will continue to be buried in the sand until such time that a B777/787 goes off the end of the runway and explodes killing all aboard due to such an error. Qatar very nearly did that in Miami in 2015. MK Airlines did do it in 2004. It's just really sad. Boeing flight operations management and flight standards have very little actual airline operating experience, especially on widebody aircraft, so they fail to recognize the threat.
Did those people go on to run SFO?

Stone Cold

With the usual accuracy :smoke:
Where were you born? Who do you support in the Ukraine/Russia conflict? Those are the only 2 questions you need to answer. Then, we'll see how accurate I am. ;)

To test your expat skills, my comment on that will be "полшестого" (5:30 to make it easier. Go figure that one out :)
So, your question is some obscure thing that you'd have to be a native speaker, or close to it, to understand? LOL. Okay, not sure what the point is, other than a distraction. Half past five is what google translate comes up with, but I'm sure it's some weird thing you're referring to. It's the same crap my old Russian CP used to try. I didn't care then, and definitely don't care now.

Expats aren't known for going in depth on local knowledge. I know people in Russia who were there for 10+ years solid, and I speak more Russian than they do. What I do know is I still know a lot of Ukrainians and you're the only one I know who claims to be Russian, even though they're Ukrainian. All of them are proud of where they are from, except you. Why is that?

Would you like to continue this again, or are we done with it? :cool:

GypsyPilot

Any chance of us getting to see this article? Definitely sounds interesting.

BigZ

Where were you born? Who do you support in the Ukraine/Russia conflict? Those are the only 2 questions you need to answer. Then, we'll see how accurate I am. ;)

So, your question is some obscure thing that you'd have to be a native speaker, or close to it, to understand? LOL. Okay, not sure what the point is, other than a distraction. Half past five is what google translate comes up with, but I'm sure it's some weird thing you're referring to. It's the same crap my old Russian CP used to try. I didn't care then, and definitely don't care now.

Expats aren't known for going in depth on local knowledge. I know people in Russia who were there for 10+ years solid, and I speak more Russian than they do. What I do know is I still know a lot of Ukrainians and you're the only one I know who claims to be Russian, even though they're Ukrainian. All of them are proud of where they are from, except you. Why is that?

Would you like to continue this again, or are we done with it? :cool:
5:30 is a visual representation of the potency of your shots

I was born in the USSR and in the current conflict in Donbass I support the separatist and am grateful to Russia for their support.

I am very proud of where I'm from, the history and the heritage of the place. You can't appreciate that fact because you don't know enough about the said history and heritage. You would if you ever bothered reading up on it.

But you won't and that's ok. Just realize how dumb you look when you "fire the shots".

Stone Cold

5:30 is a visual representation of the potency of your shots

I was born in the USSR and in the current conflict in Donbass I support the separatist and am grateful to Russia for their support.

I am very proud of where I'm from, the history and the heritage of the place. You can't appreciate that fact because you don't know enough about the said history and heritage. You would if you ever bothered reading up on it.

But you won't and that's ok. Just realize how dumb you look when you "fire the shots".
I'll continue to take the side of the Ukrainian friends I've developed over the years and their opinion vs. some random "Russian" troll. I'll keep aiming straight, thank you very much! Cheers!

Last edited:

Crop Duster

E pluribus unum
But with pax on board. And not on purpose. And they broke runway lights. Yikes. Don't let the article fool you, they didn't "almost" run out of runway, pictures of broken runway lights are floating around but have been taken down at 2 sources in just a few minutes, because Russia. Video in the link below:

https://samchui.com/2019/08/08/s7-boeing-737-almost-ran-out-of-runway-during-takeoff-at-moscow-airport/#.XU1YiuhKiUk

Interesting they take some lights with them on a 2+ hour flight (to the outstation no less) and didn't bother to get the bird checked out. Oh well, not like they flew from Miami to Doha with lights stuck to the airframe.
Pulls nose up.... nothing happens... drives down runway on mains... brilliant.

Flyinthrew

How many hours before the typical engine gets pulled for being high time? I'm just wondering because I put the Rolls Royce Pegasus in the corner every day, and there will never be discussion of doing otherwise.

mrivc211

You can still see distance remaining markers.

Depending on the displaced threshold, and depending on how heavy we are, I have good ballparks of what our speed should be passing the 1,000 ft touchdown aim point and when the last stripe disappears ~ 3,000 ft.

You may not have time to V1 calculations, but DTLR still works IHMO.

The EK animation at Melbourne. Notice how long it takes them to get 80 knots. And acceleration in general. And how late they come in with TOGA power. Of course the crew was tired/fatigued and there were human factors involved. But still, ouch!

Jesus Christ, Just push the effin Thrust levers to max at that point. Use your head. Same happened to me, I got 3/4 down the runway and slammed them forward. I ain't goin out like that. Not on my watch.