737-800 demonstrates soft field take off in Moscow.

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
In all seriousness, I’ve occasionally wanted time to V1 included in performance calculations.
0 to a specified speed 60, 80, or something in part 25 aircraft would be nice. I think I mentioned this in a thread about Icons, but this was one thing I was taught to pay attention to in seaplanes. Know the normal take off time because you don’t have runway distance remaining markers to use for an abort. Trees, docks, shoreline, etc.. are all in the distance and they’ll get bigger but using time is a good tool if you decide to abort before hitting something.

Cherokee_Cruiser

You can still see distance remaining markers.

Depending on the displaced threshold, and depending on how heavy we are, I have good ballparks of what our speed should be passing the 1,000 ft touchdown aim point and when the last stripe disappears ~ 3,000 ft.

You may not have time to V1 calculations, but DTLR still works IHMO.

The EK animation at Melbourne. Notice how long it takes them to get 80 knots. And acceleration in general. And how late they come in with TOGA power. Of course the crew was tired/fatigued and there were human factors involved. But still, ouch!

Boris Badenov

Someone should definitely do *something*, Captain!
Capitalist stooge fear engine failure! Is, how you say, "inefficient" take 3/4 load could because oooh maybe engine kaboom on takeoff! Maybe train hit driving from hotel, no? Maybe meteor strike, thousand die, forest leveeeeeeled (happen in Russia already!) Maybe, though, you get "tough", yes? No crying for Mommy, yes?

Kimo

My toes curled watching the video of that 737. Definitely some brown skid marks on the bottom of that plane and possibly the flight crews underpants as well.

Nark

Sheepdog
0 to a specified speed 60, 80, or something in part 25 aircraft would be nice. I think I mentioned this in a thread about Icons, but this was one thing I was taught to pay attention to in seaplanes. Know the normal take off time because you don’t have runway distance remaining markers to use for an abort. Trees, docks, shoreline, etc.. are all in the distance and they’ll get bigger but using time is a good tool if you decide to abort before hitting something.
In the helicopter, when doing a level acceleration takeoff (don't have enough power past hover), we use markers for aborts, if we are unable to reach ETL. (effective translational lift. basically smooth air over the disk)
Rule of thumb is where you can't see rotor downwash anymore (best visuals are over grass).

BigZ

Capitalist stooge fear engine failure! Is, how you say, "inefficient" take 3/4 load could because oooh maybe engine kaboom on takeoff! Maybe train hit driving from hotel, no? Maybe meteor strike, thousand die, forest leveeeeeeled (happen in Russia already!) Maybe, though, you get "tough", yes? No crying for Mommy, yes?
Jokes aside, I did know a guy who operated his SR22 Cirrus out of the 400m runway (1300 ft for our capitalist comrades) I learned to fly at. Damn spectacle every time.

Autothrust Blue

"I’d make a suggestion but you won’t listen”
You can still see distance remaining markers.

Depending on the displaced threshold, and depending on how heavy we are, I have good ballparks of what our speed should be passing the 1,000 ft touchdown aim point and when the last stripe disappears ~ 3,000 ft.

You may not have time to V1 calculations, but DTLR still works IHMO.

The EK animation at Melbourne. Notice how long it takes them to get 80 knots. And acceleration in general. And how late they come in with TOGA power. Of course the crew was tired/fatigued and there were human factors involved. But still, ouch!

I’m sure Emirates got right to the bottom with a just response.

*hyena-like laughter*