737-800 demonstrates soft field take off in Moscow.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
But with pax on board. And not on purpose. And they broke runway lights. Yikes. Don't let the article fool you, they didn't "almost" run out of runway, pictures of broken runway lights are floating around but have been taken down at 2 sources in just a few minutes, because Russia. Video in the link below:

https://samchui.com/2019/08/08/s7-boeing-737-almost-ran-out-of-runway-during-takeoff-at-moscow-airport/#.XU1YiuhKiUk

S7 Boeing 737 Almost Ran Out of Runway During Takeoff at Moscow Airpor

S7 BOEING 737 ALMOST RAN OUT OF RUNWAY DURING TAKEOFF AT MOSCOW AIRPORT
CATARINA MADUREIRAAUGUST 8, 2019
737ACCIDENTSAVIATIONAVIATION NEWSBOEINGRUSSIA0 COMMENTS

A Boeing 737-800 of S7 Airlines, registration VQ-BKV and performing flight S7-263 from Moscow Domodedovo to Simferopol, almost ran out of runway during takeoff. After it overran the end of the runway 32L the aircraft continued the scheduled flight and landed in Simferopol 2:10 hours later.
A later runway inspection at Moscow Domodedovo Airport found that five lighting units were destroyed during the takeoff, with broken glass scattered all around. After arriving in Simferopol, the 737 was submitted to an inspection that showed three tyres had been damaged and the landing gear had glass embedded.
Interesting they take some lights with them on a 2+ hour flight (to the outstation no less) and didn't bother to get the bird checked out. Oh well, not like they flew from Miami to Doha with lights stuck to the airframe.

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
Either one works for this.

The Aussies did a survey of these little incidents related to the mis-entry of takeoff data and configuration goofs back in, I guess it was the mid oughts; I think we are super lucky to have not had more fireballs.
We almost did this in NRT. Weight was entered correctly, but when they got a change to the short runway with a complicated taxi they never changed the thrust setting. Was almost REALLY bad.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
We almost did this in NRT. Weight was entered correctly, but when they got a change to the short runway with a complicated taxi they never changed the thrust setting. Was almost REALLY bad.
Old job had a bunch of misconfigured takeoffs, including, inexplicably, people not configuring the airplane properly on the initial after start/pre taxi phase.

“Bro do you even read your takeoff data”

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
In Soviet Russia, no one care if they die! Or so it seems based off events like this and their dash cam videos.
I mean, commie-built airplanes going into the clearway is really nothing new ("In Soviet Russia, airplane scares earth away from it slowly"). It's a little more noteworthy when it's a western-built airplane that is "supposed" to meet performance requirements.

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I’m pretty sure the Tu-154 variants without Western avionics have an engineer and a navigator, ditto for the older Ilyushin airplanes too.
Many of them also had a radio operator, so 5 guys shoulder to shoulder doing Soviet stuff. Like descending below the clouds NORDO on IFR airways and revenue pax flights to get the KGB photos of RAF bases over England on the way to LHR.

Autothrust Blue

"I'll take your case."
The re-designed deice procedures circa 2015 were just asking for that.
Agreed. Take the damn hit and do it in a takeoff configuration, which...well, one program did and one program doesn’t still.

(Why have a common solution to a common problem? (Etc.))

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
We got an unexpected runway and departure change in a rainstorm in MEX last week and tower wanted us to expedite.

Lots of slow taxiing, “unable”, “standby” and “Hey Mike, lets slow jam the runway change items, chill, talk about the departure, and run through those performance figures one more time, oh yeah.”

DD9E538D-6552-4BE9-9F30-96DBAFB2761D.jpeg

*parking brake*

“It’s 10pm, it’s raining, hit me up with those performance figures one more time, oooooh yeahhhhhhh... CDMX tower wants us out the way, but that’s awww’right...”

Screaming_Emu

Dogsheep
We got an unexpected runway and departure change in a rainstorm in MEX last week and tower wanted us to expedite.

Lots of slow taxiing, “unable”, “standby” and “Hey Mike, lets slow jam the runway change items, chill, talk about the departure, and run through those performance figures one more time, oh yeah.”

View attachment 49134

*parking brake*

“It’s 10pm, it’s raining, hit me up with those performance figures one more time, oooooh yeahhhhhhh... CDMX tower wants us out the way, but that’s awww’right...”
If we are somewhere with vastly different runway lengths and we aren't reasonably sure which one we are going to get, I'm a big fan of forcing parameters on the AeroData request. In theory, if you select full thrust and a specific flap setting the data will come back with all of the data entry values the same. Maybe not ideal in terms of performance or cost savings, but it's a way to manage a potential error in some situations.

Derg

Cap, Roci
Staff member
My big concern was that it was to an infrequently used runway, a lot of taxiway and intersection closures, coupled with taking off INTO terrain with a really wacky departure procedure. Heavy (for a 319, SHUT UP, I KNOW IT’S NOT A 747-8, FIGHT ME! :) ) and it was late.

mrivc211

I’d hazard a guess: incorrect flap setting for takeoff.
thats what I was thinking. I've RTO'd once above 80 knots. Out of Sante Fe NM. Scary times. One other time I saw the end of the runway coming up close during the FO's takeoff and was like why the hell is the end of this long ass runway coming up so fast, so I pushed the Thrust levers up from Flex takeoff to full power. Too close for comfort.